Newbie to Axolotal's

lindsey1989

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes: Hello!
I've just joined!
And I have my first axy set up here in my room! I've researched them madly on the internet and fell in love with them after giving one a salt bath at college!
Well he's been her since Sunday and seems to be getting settled!
He had his first meal today :) (crushed mussel). I did try offering blood worm but he wasn't remotely interested!!
Ok so I'm checking the tank water every day ( API aquarium strios- measures PH, Nitrate,Nitrite,Carbonate and general hardness)
My filter is doing well, he's not in a tiny tank and I plan to upgrade him but I didn't want to frighten him right away once I got him.
I've got 3 real plants in, and one fake.......... and a few large rocks! He's got plenty of space to hide etc!
I'm putting a lot of effort in to making sure he's happy!
I've noticed he has a nick in his tail ( doesn't look major at all and doesn't seem to be bothering him)
I just need advice really, I don't know amazing amounts about them and get conflicting advice from the net :(
Its no good asking the shop where I got him, as I seem to know more then they do!!!
Any good ideas on keeping the tank cool?
He's currently on sand as a substrate, but how do I easily clean the bottom?
also why do you need to fridge axy's?
I'm confused! and just want my guy to be happy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
For general info you can look on axolotl.org

For food i use Axolotl pellets and earthworms, as an occasional treat i will feed bloodworms. I am in the process of setting up a tank to breed some cherry shrimp, which i will also use as a tank cleaner and feeder fish.

I have sand in my tank, and I use a gravel vac to clean the bottom of my tank (it is essentially a siphon), but a lot of people use a turkey baster.

Fridging is really only needed when the axie is sick, stressed, or too hot. Fridging helps the axie to relax, boosts their immune system, and subdues any bacteria or fungus that may be infecting them.

Last edited:
Hey there and congrats on your new axie!

You didn't mention an ammonia test in your API kit so I would suggest getting an ammonia test kit if you don't already have one. Drop tests are generally easier to read than the strip tests and most believe them to be more accurate also. If your tank is uncycled you want to monitor ammonia lvls everyday...maybe even more often as the first ammonia outbreak can happen very quickly. Also axie poo and dead plant material contribute to ammonia so be aware of that also. Ammonia is extremely toxic to axies and any reading above 0 ppm is very bad news!

I feed mine pellets, freeze-dried brine shrimp, crickets, and meal worms. About once a month I throw in a frozen pinky or a feeder fish as a treat. I have a small dish in my axies tank for the pellets and he's gotten really accustomed to being fed in that spot. This also makes clean-up a little easier. Axies will literally try to eat EVERYTHING! Everytime I siphon out my guy's tank, he follows my hand around thinking it can fit in his mouth!

They are such wonderful critters and are really quite charming in their own awkward little way.

Hope this helped! Gook luck :D

Thanks for your help guys!
will have had him a week Sunday, im like a new mum!! :confused:
Constantly testing the water!
he seems 2be eatting, got him on blood worm and crushed mussel?
is this ok?
feeding in the everning.....should i also try offering him somethin in the morning?

How old is your axie? Or how long?

Feeding once a day should be fine for small axies, reduced as they get bigger.

Bloodworms are a good food for axies, but not so good as a staple food. Earthworms are the recommended diet, or pellets, with other things such as bloodworms, pieces of shrimp, crickets, slugs etc. as treats. I'm not sure about mussels, I've never heard of anyone feeding them to theirs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back