Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How long will my babies be eating brine shrimp?

Toptex

Reaction score
Well I have been hatching brine shrimp eggs and culturing microworms over a week now and am just wondering as to how long will my babies be on this diet. Weeks? Months? Not that I'm complaining!!
Also, does axie larvae eat dead brine shrimp or should I change their water before it fouls?
Cheers
MA

Attachments

• DSC_0274.jpg
    DSC_0274.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 11,354

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Toptex,
your babies will probably eat them until they are big enough to eat something bigger and you feed it to them. I don't mean to sound flippant, and maybe someone else can give you a time frame, but it really does involve watching how fast they grow and then giving them something bigger.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, my larvae grew about 1 cm a week, so it is only a matter of weeks, not months, until you can move on to bigger foods.

The larvae are almost certain not to eat the dead shrimp, so you should be changing the water a couple of hours after feeding.

Congrats on the little ones, by the way!

-Eva

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
If I can remember correctly, my axolotl larvae were feeding on baby brine shrimp for only about 3 weeks before I moved them onto whiteworms. I know of a few members who have skipped the BBS and started them out on minced blackworms. Personally, I don't have the time or patience to mince them up that small.

Axolotl larvae will only recognize moving objects as food for the first couple of weeks so you can bet they aren't eating the dead brine shrimp.

sharelkaye

Reaction score
I have some babies right now and they are a little bit smaller than an inch now. I started off feeding them live baby brine shrimp then tried frozen baby brine shrimp as well as frozen cyclops and they loved it. Now the size that they are I have started them on choped up frozen blood worms and they are doing great and getting big.

Axomom6

Reaction score
Hello, I have some babies over a month old, my adult axos Gave me eggs, and they have front legs, and starting to get their backs.. I am wondering how I can switch them off the live BBS? I have been trying with chopped frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, (all thawed) small soft pellets and they spit everything out.. I can't keep them on BBS forever.. Please help me!!! I am not sure what else to do!! I'm a First time axomom...Any tips? I need them to eat better so they grow big and healthy ! Thank you!

axolotlally5

Reaction score
Hello, I have some babies over a month old, my adult axos Gave me eggs, and they have front legs, and starting to get their backs.. I am wondering how I can switch them off the live BBS? I have been trying with chopped frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, (all thawed) small soft pellets and they spit everything out.. I can't keep them on BBS forever.. Please help me!!! I am not sure what else to do!! I'm a First time axomom...Any tips? I need them to eat better so they grow big and healthy ! Thank you!
hi! when I switched my guys over I fed bbs and bloodworms at the same time and slowly took away bbs and they began eating worms fine. if they didn’t like it they learned to. also this is an old chat from 2009 btw

Axomom6

Reaction score
hi! when I switched my guys over I fed bbs and bloodworms at the same time and slowly took away bbs and they began eating worms fine. if they didn’t like it they learned to. also this is an old chat from 2009 btw
I know it's old.. I was just trying to find anywhere for answers...😖 They take the bloodworms, but they chew it until they have no color left, then spit the rest out... I've been trying everything..

supergrappler

Reaction score
I know it's old.. I was just trying to find anywhere for answers...😖 They take the bloodworms, but they chew it until they have no color left, then spit the rest out... I've been trying everything..
Sorry if this is too late but just go the minced blackworm route. The tiny segments wriggle and squirm which is irresistible to baby axolotls. BBS on the other hand die quickly and muck up the water quickly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1