Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Jumping Triturus marmoratus

huug

Reaction score
Hi,

I have bred just a few Triturus marmoratus this year, but they are stunners!
Look at my latest morph! I just love the coloration of this species....

Think i might of bred a jumper,...T.marmoratus "Jumper" :eek::D

But without joking, isn't it a stunning newt? :)

Attachments

• newest morph [640x480].JPG
    newest morph [640x480].JPG
    93 KB · Views: 1,151
  • one ,two, three,....jump!! [640x480].JPG
    one ,two, three,....jump!! [640x480].JPG
    52 KB · Views: 598

huug

Reaction score
Thx guys!

Mitch, i do not intend to raise them aquatic.
It just morphed this week so.., soon i will put it in a terestrial set-up.

I think they grow better in such a set-up.
Need to make sure they get enough calcium though.. :)

Fer

Reaction score
jajaja excellent picture!! it's so precious

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Excellent animal my friend. I just wonder how you can do that... pasing form larvae to morph always in deep water...:confused: Mine morph and run away for the most dry places, and stay there for 2 years :D...
Good job!

jorgo

huug

Reaction score
Thanks all,

Jorgo, i decided to keep one aquatic and one terrestrial, to see which one will be doing better.
It is easy to keep them aquatic i think.

I just fill the tank with 15 to 20cm of water and then put a rock in there that is just underneath the surface of the water. So when they sit on top of the rock, they are with their feed and belly in the water.

Allso i make sure a small pump floods the rock with water, to make sure the rock stays wet and flooded when the waterlevel drops.

I allso put some plants in the ater which they can rest on.
I feed them in the water, the first days they climb the small surfacing pump and the glass but after a few days they chill on the rock and plants and eat in the water, within days they are aquatic like popei:D

I do this with my Taricha granulosa morphs(2009) too!
I got my Taricha cb from 08 allso aquatic within days after one year of terrestrial raising, with the same method!

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Hey there... I´ve heard that before with T. verrucosus... Didn´t know it could be applied to these, how many centimetres the aquatic one haves? I think I´ll do the same with my Taricha granulosa, since they dont feed :confused: no bloodworms, no ephemeroptera larvae. In water maybe will acept these better and chopped earthworms (very small), no?

Pedro Oliveira

Reaction score
I keep my metamorphosed Cynops orientalis in water.
I put it in a box with 2 inches of water and java moss in order to leave the water. In the early days the larvae remain on the sides of the box, but quickly returned to the water, where they eat frozen bloodworms!

They are very fat =D

All the best

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1