Badtz Maru Tank 2.0

spiro666

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Spiro!
Used to have this guy in a 27 gallon bow front with a 65 watt (24 inch) PC, HOB Filter, Large Gravel and a couple live plants.

Got some inspiration (especially form Tran, THANKS TRAN!) and i got:

40r breeder tank
white reptile sand (heavily rinsed)
Eheim Ecco 2232 with spray bar
Single pump head that is timed with the light
96 Watt (48 inch) PC
and i even started a compost heap to grow my own earth worms to compliment the salmon pellets he has been on.

of course i stayed with the light plants and the tank is still quite young but so far he is growing, swimming, and eating as well as i could hope. my new goal is to get him a nice GFP leucistic friend. haha

Attachments

• Axolotl21.jpg
    Axolotl21.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 327
  • Axolotl22.jpg
    Axolotl22.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 414
Looks great. :wacko::wacko:

The reptile sand look awsome wild the black (wildtype??) axolotl.

I wouldn't leave the light on too often during the day, just enough for your plants requirements.

I wonder if he stares at you when your asleep. :proud::proud:

lights come on around 930am and off at 7pm. there is a moonlight that is always on though.

and hes pretty funny so i am pretty sure hes is planning his revenge on me while i sleep. or maybe hes going to take over the world MMMUAHAHAHAHAH!:cool:

Thanks for sharing. I'm still perfecting tank design, so I love seeing what others do with axolotl decor.

The tank looks really nice in my opinion, and your axie looks especially cute in that second picture. I hope your little guy continues to stay happy and healthy! :)

thanks for the compliments gang.

yeah i thought about that as well but there is a solid 5-6 inch gap from the water to the top and hes not the sharpest tool in the shed. i was really thinking about that though because i am considering using some mangrove plants and those would give him a path out of the water so i might have to get a lid. thanks again

Josh, man, that looks awesome! So clean and natural. Love it.

You certainly did a lot of research and everything is done right. Good filter, good substate, good light, nice plants. Dont worry about the light. The axolotl will hide if it's bothered. Mine stay out all the time they dont care that the lights are on for 10 hours a day.

The compost heap is a good plan. I tried to do that too but my worms (european nightcrawlers) died haha. Hope you have better luck.

Looking forward to pictures of the leucistic :) Keep us updated!

That's a nice setup. What kind of rock are you using?
I thought about putting my mangroves in the tank but remembered they grow in warm water. So how the mangroves work would you please update.

I think mangroves need salt, too, which your axies wouldn't like. The tank looks great!! It's good to hear other people have axies with lights on the tank that don't bother the axies. I was beginning to think I was the only one!

My red mangroves are grown in fresh water. They do fine, but they need bright light.
They can grow in salt or brackish water because they excrete the salt from leaves. I think the white mangrove does better in salt water.

hello.

i am not sure about what kind of rock. its a standard rock from the local fish store. maybe limestone, only because it is rather light, porous, easy to break.

i still have no been able to get my hands on some mangrove plants but i have heard they work ok in fresh water but do require a lot of light. i will gladly keep the site updated once i try. so far the light doesnt seem to bother the axolotl at all. he seems to like it almost. he spends all "day" out on the open and only goes under his rock at night. hes weird.

Why does everyones tank look more amazing than mine? It must be the sand and the real plants... I'm jealous!

haha haven't seen your tank but your axolotl looks more amazing than mine. haha. and i am pretty sure mine has down syndrome. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back