Perseid Meteor Shower 200 per hour

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Display Name
Sharon
We're gonna break out the telescope canon for sure! I'm so mad hubby lost the computer and cables to it. I could have hooked up my digi cam!!! CRAPULOUS!
:ufo:

Sharon, would I be able to watch this in PA? Was it tonight?

Oh, thanks for the heads-up! I can't believe I had forgotten all about it since I watch these every year if the sky is clear.

And Nathan, you should be able to see these just fine if your light pollution isn't too bad. They generally come out of the northeastern sky (that's where the constellation Perseus is, isn't it?), but are usually visible almost anywhere in the sky, at least in my experience (I'm always in upstate NY when these things go off). Should also be visible tomorrow night (into the 13th).

Out the door to see if they're popping yet...
DDiS

Anyone in the northern hemisphere should be able to see them. They are going on right now but the peak is supposed to be Wednesday night. The origin point is between Perseus and Cassiopeia. Here's a picture from the BBC of where to look:

_46189152_perseids_466.gif

By the way, this happens every year, and there are several different named showers each year if you know when and where to look.

It's cloudy here.:mad:

Thank you though.:happy: Maybe better luck tomorrow night...

Last edited:
Sharon, would I be able to watch this in PA? Was it tonight?

As others have said - yes you can if you can get away from outdoor lights. If you want a real treat, go "down the shore", pick an area where there are no lights and if its not cloudy look out over the ocean - spectacular!

I went tonight to watch this meteor shower but I only saw 4 shoooting stars in a hour. The moon was annoying, too much light.

As others have said - yes you can if you can get away from outdoor lights. If you want a real treat, go "down the shore", pick an area where there are no lights and if its not cloudy look out over the ocean - spectacular!

Looking out over the ocean at night in total darkness really is fantastic. When I lived in Maine sometimes we would go to the local cove for stargazing. I don't think I've ever seen that many stars since.

Unfortunately, there was a lot of light and the sky was cloudy, so no meteors for me. Maybe tonight.

Tonight's show will be dampened a bit by the moon...

Sadly, there is a ton of light pollution here too...guess I will have to wait for the Geminids...used to watch the Perseids as a kid every summer. Best view I ever had of them was 150 nautical miles west of the Panama Canal. Tell you what, you have never seen stars till you have seen them on a ship at sea.

Tell you what, you have never seen stars till you have seen them on a ship at sea.
A tiny Caribbean island would give your ship a run for its money I think.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back