Help please. Is it fungus?

groldigger

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey,
I started frdiging my axolotl two days ago because he seemed really stressed (he wasn't eating) and i thought he had something lodged in some part of his body (the fridging was supposed to help everything flow out of him). I got home today to do a 100% water change and noticed he is looking really bad. He has white stuff on his gills and they appear to be shrinking a bit. please help what should i do?
I really dont want him to die but he just doesnt seem to be going very well at all. Should i do a salt bath?

Attachments

• DSC00472.jpg
    DSC00472.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC00474.jpg
    DSC00474.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 279
Frankly, the first thing i thought it looked like was a case of parasites. There is evidence of fungal infection too. I would commence salt baths 2x daily preferably 8-10 hours apart for the 1st week and taper down to 1x daily for the 2nd week. That should eradiate fungal elements and also most parasites.

Hey, thanks for your help i will start the baths tomorrow. How much salt should i add per litre? Some websites say 2-3 teaspoons per litre, whilst others say 1 teaspoon per 2 litres. It is all a bit misleading.

Hi Groldigger,

Salt bath in conjunction with fridging:

-Prepare a tub of fresh water using the dechlorinated water stored in the fridge.

-Dissolve two to three teaspoons of salt per litre of water (suitable salts are: sea salt, kosher salt or fresh water aquarium salt - do not use table salt!).

-Take axolotl out of the fridge, and transfer him to the bath.

-Leave axolotl in the bath for ten minutes, no longer than 15 minutes though, as the salt will start to damage his gills and skin.

-While the axolotl is soaking in the salt bath, empty the other tub, and replace the dirty water with fresh fridged dechlorinated water.

-At the conclusion of the salt bath, transfer the axolotl back to that container and pop back in the fridge.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back