Commercial display coolers

Nathan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just had an itch to ask if any of you use commercial display coolers, such as those used at grocery and convenience stores, to keep cold-loving salamanders in. I know they're expensive, but surely some of you have enough animals to make it worth your while.

I am thinking of that idea too!

Was looking on the net where I could find cooling plates to place below the tank, but the only thing I found was a page where they sold chillers where you put dead bodies on, a bid morbid if you ask me.

does anyone use chilling plates?

I just had an itch to ask if any of you use commercial display coolers, such as those used at grocery and convenience stores, to keep cold-loving salamanders in. I know they're expensive, but surely some of you have enough animals to make it worth your while.

Do you meen something like this? they are exspensive but i have also thougth about this idea. I have actually seen some cheap used before, but still to much money for me.

http://www.skaneaktivkyl.se/45-kyldisk.htm

Somewhere on here there is a thread about people using wine fridges as coolers.

Grius- that first one is what I was thinking of. It might be possible to get a (relatively) inexpensive one from a store going out of business.

I think the biggest drawback is that they do not have adjustable temperature settings. It might be possible to install a thermostat. The other drawback would be power usage; I suspect they use more power to cool each cubic foot than a standard refrigerator does, due to the poor insulating properties of the glass doors. But it's probably still cheaper than cooling a whole room to 50 or 60 F year-round!

Merk199- I hadn't thought of that, I'll have to look up the thread. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back