Tiny Newt

Holding2k9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I house 6 C.orientalis and all are fed well and healthy , however i noticed today that one of my newts seem smaller and skinnier than the other 5.

i am 99% sure it's not emacicated . what i want to know is should i isolate the newt or just see how it goes.

Are they aquatic or still in the terrestrial phase? It is easier if they are in the terrestrial phase to put the smaller specimen in a small shoe box. That way you can ensure he is getting the food he needs without competition. There always seems to be one in a group that is less able to compete for the food. I learned this lesson the hard way with a cynops popei. Currently I have 5 T marms and four are extremely big boned. The fifth had to be seperated out because he is lacking the growth like the others. So he is happy in his own shoe box now. Still behind in size but otherwise ok. Now if they are aquatic that complicates matters in that you will have to set up another small tank but such are the joys of keeping caudates.

I had the same thing happen with my T. karelinii. The smallest newt always seems to get it's tail bitten off, no matter how few there are and how big the tank is. Whenever I feed they go into a feeding frenzy! I am now downsizing to one male and one female and hopefully that will work. Luckily I doubt C. orientalis are big enough to bite each others tails off!

they are fully aquatic ... only resting at night on my turtle dock.
i have to say no agression is shown towards this newt by my bigger ones and i have seperatly fed him..
thanks for your experiences .. means alot :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back