Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Something not quite right...

Aimee

Reaction score
Howdy all,

For the past few days my axie has been acting so.....disinterested (for lack of a better word). Usually he gets excited and becomes quite active whenever he sees me move around his tank, but lately I haven't seen him move much at all. He just sits at the bottom of his tank and continuously flaps his gills. Over the past three days I haven't seen him go 10 seconds (I've been counting) without flapping. I would say his average is now 4-5 seconds. This is not normal for him.

His appetite is also changed. Though I can still get him to eat, he doesn't partake in feedings with his normal voracity. He used to snap at anything and everything, but I seem to have to dangle his food in front of him for a few seconds before he decides he'll take it. Yesterday he spat his worm back up...not normal for him.

I've also noticed that his gills are brighter than normal and that his hind end and tail have a pinkish hue to them. I can see the veins in his tail fin. Additionally I haven't seen a good poo out of him in a few days. I don't see any swellings, but with the increased blood flow in his hind quarter and the lack of a good poo, I'm thinking he has an impaction.

His water parameters are: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20-40ppm Nitrate, temp 68-70 F, and 8.4 pH

The pH is high, but I doubt it is the problem since he's been living in such a high pH for a few years now (thanks to inaccurate dip-strip tests...) Small water changes are being made daily to deal with the pH problem.

Another problem I'm having is trying to get my fridge warm enough to put him in. I've been experimenting for the past two days and the warmest part of the fridge I can find is 4 degrees C. To the detriment of all my refrigerated produce :)D), I have set my fridge to its warmest setting and I don't think its going to be enough.

The weather here is pretty warm (high 90s and low 100s F) and the coolest I can keep his tank is 68 F. I change out 2 frozen water bottles every 3 hours and am currently looking into a clip on fan, which will help a couple more degrees...

If I can't put him in the fridge, does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can do to help him through this? I've heard that gently massaging the abdomen is an option, but with my awkward hands, I can't imagine that going very well....

Please help :sad:

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Sorry I can't offer any advice.

The only think I would say is not to try massaging your axie, you could end up damaging him internally.

Your temperature doesn't seem overly high and water parameters are good, I don't know what else to suggest is wrong with your little one.

I hope someone can offer you some help soon.

Aimee

Reaction score
Thanks for the support, Kerry :happy:

I've finally gotten my fridge to 6 degrees C so I'm going to put him in the fridge tonight...I am a little worried since I've never fridged him before, but doing nothing seems a poor alternative.

I'm not sure how long to keep him in there, but I guess waiting for a poo is a good start. I've heard 2-3 weeks is usually recommended. How long is too long?

Aimee

Reaction score
Also...this is a really stupid question, but I have to ask...I just read the "fridging procedure" page on the axie sanctuary site and it says to put a lid over the container with your axie...do I not have to worry about him not having enough oxygen in his sealed up container?

Like I said...stupid :D Someone please educate me....

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I just read the "fridging procedure" page on the axie sanctuary site and it says to put a lid over the container with your axie...do I not have to worry about him not having enough oxygen in his sealed up container?

Not really since you will have to do a 100% water change everyday. Although if your still uncomfortable with putting a lid on the container you could always just put a tea towel over it and it will serve the same purpose as a lid but still allow oxygen to pass through.

Aimee

Reaction score
Thank you!

I have him in the fridge now (explaining what I was doing to my housemate was a little interesting...:happy:). So I guess all I can do now is watch and wait **deep breaths**

Thanks again :wacko:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

If you don't keep your axie on gravel, it really is unlikely to get an impaction. Constipation may be a possibility though but fridging will solve that problem nontheless.

I personally prefer using a perforated secure lid. This offers me psychological comfort (its to please me really) and also mechanical security from the axie jumping out and dessicating. I put a tea towel over the lid merely for the purpose of shade to prevent sudden light exposure from opening and closing the fridge door.

Aimee

Reaction score
Yes, I felt a lid was necessary (just incase my housemate forgot about my axie in the fridge and tried stacking things on top of him...) so I poked some holes in the lid before putting it on. I doubt it was necessary or that it will make a whole lot of difference, but it made me feel better. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input :happy: I'm really worried and hope he gets through this...

Aimee

Reaction score
Howdy Everyone

Just thought I'd update....:happy:

After a week in the fridge (pooing out 2 whole crickets, a meal worm, an earthworm, and a ton of bloodworms in the first night) Sushi has returned to his tank and is doing much better.

Seeing what had passed through his system in the fridge, I've decided to be more cautious in feeding him crickets, mealworms, and other exoskeletal foods as this may have been the cause of his stress.

After these last few eventful months he's a bit on the skinny side, but by the way he ripped his nightcrawler apart this morning, I have no doubt that he'll be back to his plump little self in no time.

Thank you to Justin, Kerry, and Rayson for your support and for guiding Sushi and I through this. You guys are amazing! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1