Front legs are missing :(

SmartBartje

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I got 2 axies, both the same age though one is quite a bit bigger than the other. When I came to feed em today, the smaller one has lost both of it's front legs! I'm guessing the big one did it, I don't think guppies would attack it.

Anyway, how 'bad' is this? They're still very young (about 3 months old)...

Greetings.
Bart:(

Separate them immediately. What temperature are they kept at right now? Do you have medications on hand?

As Michael said ~ seperate them for now.

I grow my young Axolotls on in plastic underbed storage containers. A 32ltr one costs about £5.00 here in the UK. Very easy to maintain - so something like that would be ideal.

When they lose limbs - you need to keep an eye on how they heal, 9 times out of 10 there shouldn't be any problems. Keep an eye out for fungus (white fluffy stuff) on the wounds ~ if so post or search the forum for salt baths.

Keep your little one seperate and nice and cool. Make sure any un-eaten food is taken out and water is kept clean (to avoid infection).

That said; getting limbs nipped off does happen (esp at this age) and all being well your Axolotl should grow it's legs back within a couple of months.

Cheers, Phil

Yes, what phil said. :rofl:

Water Quality
Water Tempreture
Good and varied diet (bloodworms earthworms ect. depending on what it can eat because of size ratio)
And keep stress on the down low

Good luck, All should go ok :supercool: but keep an eye on it. :frog:

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back