At nearly 4 years old...

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joseph S
Interesting to compare growth rates/whether or not they remain aquatic/terrestrial. I think it has as much to do with age/size as it does with food availability on land or in water. I bet the quality of the habitat(water quality could drive newts to become terrestrial, or vise versa of an inappropriate land area).

Picture019.jpg

This one, almost certainly a young male, has stayed on land ever since being moved to this setup, but lately has become more and more interested in the water.

Picture011.jpg

this one, probably a young female, is the smallest of the bunch and thus fed frequently...so no reason to head to the water.

Picture003-1.jpg

And here is an aquatic male, who randomly decided to crawl up onto this branch. After I stopped feeding blackworms in the water he gradually became almost fully terrestrial. Then lately he's switched back to the water again.

Picture015.jpg

Same male in terrestrial phase a few weeks later

Thoughts? It is interesting that this species has not been observed much as juveniles in the wild.

They all look very nice, Joseph. Indeed, ensicauda juveniles seem to be very adaptable to either aquatic or terrestrial conditions, depending on what's more favorable.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back