Taking an axolotl overseas?

Gnoll

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I'm a relatively new axolotl owner (and loving every minute of it--his name is Zammo). However, since getting the little guy I've had a few changes in direction in my life. Because of this, I will be moving from the US to London, England in the fall of next year. It's a little while off, but I'm making plans early, and I have an important situation to deal with: what about Zammo? I can live with parting with my fish, but I would hate to have to give up my axie after only a year. So, since some of you may know this, is it possible for me to take him? I know people can take dogs and cats and such, but sometimes reptiles and amphibians have restrictions. Is it possible to somehow take him on the plane, or would I have to have him shipped? Is it even possible to ship an axolotl that far? I'd be willing to pay for it. Can anyone point me to a website or something about this? I've not had much luck besides info about dogs, cats, and birds. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

One member who did a similar move in the recent-ish past is Pin-pin Wei (username Apples). You may try contacting her, as I'm sure she has some insight.

Isn't it a violation of CITES to transport axolotls across borders??

Isn't it a violation of CITES to transport axolotls across borders??

You just need the proper paperwork. In the old days you could get a permit for personal pets and skip some of the red tape. I have my doubts about it now. Fish and Wildlife officials are not as family friendly as they used to be. They are now part of Homeland Security and act like it.

I think the simplest thing would be to fine somebody to adopt your salamander and purchase a new one after you relocate.

For the British end start with DEFRA and the e.mail contact within this form:
www.dts-worldwide.com/Forms/CustomsForms/UK/c5.pdf

Several years ago I am aware of an axolotl imported as hand luggage in a cool bag. I gather even then it was tricky, subjected to a lot of X-rays and the inability to take other hand luggage was a problem.

See what your chosen airline says! I suspect the American end will be the least of your problems and I'd also advise trying to find an alternative owner.

You need CITES paper work to do this. If you did not receive CITES paper work from the breeder of the axolotl then you can forget about this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back