Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I need a new food.

scrappa

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my 3 axolotls for 1months now and they are very demanding on food...

My garden has run out of earthworms so i need a new food to feed them and how much to feed them.

Blood worms are messy and i dont know how much to feed but it i knew how much to feed it would be fine.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
You would be better off ordering earthworms online and setting up a wormery, or worm box. There are plenty of companies that offer live food online. Bloodworms are OK for a short while, but they're not nutritionally complete for axolotls long term.

Have a look through the forums and information pages for details on other foods. If you can get hold of pellets they are a good standby, but if your axolotls are used to live food, they may not take them.

rnocera

Reaction score
I'm currently setting up a worm farm- it's super easy. A couple rubbermaid tubs with holes drilled in the bottom, some newspaper, kitchen scraps or chicken feed, and that's all you need. Just do a google search and you'll find all kinds of info on how to start a worm farm.

If you're doing a worm farm, I'd recommend red wrigglers or African night crawlers (also known as giant red wrigglers, euro drift worms, panfish worms, or "small crawlers" in a lot of bait stores). Both grow in most any soil & reproduce fast.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I feed my axies a mix of worms, slivers of raw fish such as talapia, salmon, and catfish, and pellets for when Im in a hurry. Ive even hand fed them crickets from between my fingertips.

Syrth

Reaction score
I have a question too! Is it better feeding them live worms or dead ones? I live in canada and the diet mostly consisted of bloodworm and newt &salamader pellets. My axo is too skinny and I'm trying to figure out worms since im not sure if they are safe to eat live due to bacteria.

scrappa

Reaction score
You would be better off ordering earthworms online and setting up a wormery, or worm box. There are plenty of companies that offer live food online. Bloodworms are OK for a short while, but they're not nutritionally complete for axolotls long term.

Have a look through the forums and information pages for details on other foods. If you can get hold of pellets they are a good standby, but if your axolotls are used to live food, they may not take them.

They take half a blood worm cube.

rnocera

Reaction score
I have a question too! Is it better feeding them live worms or dead ones? I live in canada and the diet mostly consisted of bloodworm and newt &salamader pellets. My axo is too skinny and I'm trying to figure out worms since im not sure if they are safe to eat live due to bacteria.

Don't worry about bacteria in the worms. As long as you're buying worms from somewhere decent, they'll be safe. Worms are actually really clean animals; they're fairly delicate, and will die if they're subjected to poor soil conditions that would promote disease.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1