Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can I use base rock from a salt tank in a Axie tank?

jusmebabe

Reaction score
I have a saltwater tank with live rock and I have some base rock.
My question is after soaking for a few weeks I wanted to set up my tank with it. Can I use this rock?
I live in Ca. so getting Axiesis hard. My local pet store gets them in occasionally so they are going to call when hey arrive which could be a couple of weeks.
So I want to set up my tank til then..

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you explain what you mean by "base rock"? I'm not familiar with that term, and the type of rock involved does make a difference.

jusmebabe

Reaction score
Base rock is rock that has no life on it like algae. Live rock is rock that has has algae and and other critters on it.

The bucket of rocks base rock (has no life) has been out of water for a couple of months. The rock in the tank has been there for a few months (live rock).

Attachments

• Saltwater Rock 001.JPG
    Saltwater Rock 001.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 554
  • Saltwater tank  8 14 001.JPG
    Saltwater tank 8 14 001.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,021

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I highly reccomend you do not. Almost all "base rock", live rock and the like sold for marine aquarium use is one form or another of calcium carbonate. Most often this is in the form of dead or partially fossilized corals. This can lead to pH and hardness shifts that are hard to control. Also these rocks are often from oceanic sources which results in extremely high salinity due to trapped salts.

If the rock has been used in a marine aquarium previously, it is definitely not a good idea. The rock you have pictured is definaely calcium carbonate. A "fizz" test using a drop of pH down will reveal this for certain.

scrappa

Reaction score
Hi,

If you can control the PH you could put the rock in boiling water for a while or you could put in the oven for a bit to kill bacteria that might have come from the marine tank.

Not sure but this might work.

I have granite rocks instead because of the unique patterns.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Johnny - this kind of rock is likely to affect the pH of a fresh water aquarium. I would not recommend using it. You can probably find some kind of local landscaping rock (river rock, for example) that would be safer.

And indeed, if your pet shop is selling axies, you should warn them that CA Fish and Game has issued citations to pet stores for this. It is illegal to sell or even possess them in CA.

jusmebabe

Reaction score
Thanx for the info regarding my actual post. I'll try something different. I just have alot so thought I would put it to use..
Appreciate the input..

jusmebabe

Reaction score
They are on the endangered species list. So owning or importing is what it is.
I know the local Petsmart had some and a mom and pop store here gets them just have to special order. Hopefully they arrive sooner rather than later.
Someone is selling them on Craigs but he's about 4 hours away :mad:

scrappa

Reaction score
Hi,

ahh i see :(

That's unfortunate.

Well i hope you aqcuire your axolotl.

The fact that its not illegal anywhere else is unfair for you.

I would think that it would be illegal everywhere if they're endangered instead of just in California.

Aimee

Reaction score
I actually believe the illegal status of axies in CA is the result of hybridization with the native california tiger salamander. The CA salamander is critically endangered and breeding with variant ambystoma species is further detriment to their populations.

Apparently the DFG is afraid of people setting their axies free...I also think some fisherman use salamander larvae, so perhaps that has lead to exotic ambystoma species interbreeding with A. californiense

You have to obtain a special permit to own an axie in CA...not sure how one goes about doing that tho :wink:

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
They were outlawed in 2007 as part of a blanket law banning private possession of ALL Ambystomids. There is a lengthy thread on here on the subject, that includes links to the actual law. There is quite a bit of argument about it, but I know of one pet shop that was shut down, and many more that were severly fined as a result of this law.

Since law animal law enforce can and does review this site often, it may be advisable for you to read the terms of service/forum rules linked in the bottom right hand corner of the page.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1