Ensatina vocalization

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have read that Ensatinas could make slight hissing sounds but the other day, one squeaked several times at me as I released him next to the boulder it had been under... very similar to the sound that arboreal salamanders make... I wondered if anyone else had witnessed this?

I've been keeping quite a few for almost a decade now and have never heard any vocalization.

I've heard surprisingly loud squeaky vocalizations from tiger and fire salamanders (which of course are a lot bigger).

I heard Ensatinas could make hissing sounds online, and I also have heard my Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis make 'burping'- like vocalizations, but never squeaks. One of my Aneides lugubris was extremely vocal. I have never heard an Ensatina squeak in the wild or captivity. I will look into this for you.

Regards,
Aneides

I've heard surprisingly loud squeaky vocalizations from tiger and fire salamanders (which of course are a lot bigger).
Air escaping through the nares will produce a squeak-like sound. With few exceptions, salamanders do not produce vocalizations as they lack vocal chords/sacs.

I've heard squeaks from all of my ambystomatids, and recently from my Taricha. This one surprised me, as I've had her for years and never heard anything. Then she squeaked 3 times in one feeding!

Of course, this squeaking is what Jan described.

Would a hissing sound be more like a forceful sigh? A loud exhalation?

Yeah, I think it might be more common for the larger salamanders to produce squeak like vocalizations. Some Taricha and Dicamptodon, both native to my area can produce squeak like sounds. What subspecies was it? Just yesterday, Sunday, I had a Coastal Range Fence Lizard produce a hissing sound. Maybe he was just mad or mean (in his genes?LOL).

Regards,
Aneides

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back