Need crayfish help :(

scrappa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Drew
Hi,

Kinda not about newts or salamanders but what can i feed my crayfish.

So far it eats carrot,peas,bloodworms and kryll but what else will it eat?

Crayfish are scavengers and omnivores. They will eat everything they can get a hold of; water plants, fish, earthworms, flake fish food, etc.

Ok thanks.

He is holding a bit of lettuce to the floor of his tank atm but he doesnt quite know what to do with it because the store just fed it crab pellets.

Haha, well I'm sure once he is hungry enough he will figure it out. My sister had one for a science fair presentation and she mainly fed it veggies out of the garden, and it lived for quite a long time.

I have some Cambarus ludivicianus. I feed them carrots, zucchini, salmon pellets, shrimp pellets, and chopped earthworms. They eat lots of things including their shed shells.

Attachments

• DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 295
Hi,

Your crawfish is beautiful!

Mine isn't as bright.

I think the almighty John should start a bit of the forum for crustaceans because it seems quite a few of the people here own them...

I will post a pic of my crawfish.

I will just take it now... lol.

Also my crawfish produces so much waste!

I get it all out then go to sleep then in the morning the tank bottom is littered with waste again!

I haven't had mine for long either so he/she hasnt shed yet...

He/she is about 20cm long.

I couldnt get a decent photo because he/she doesnt like the camera but i got a few.

Attachments

• crawfish.jpg
    crawfish.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 304
  • crawfish (5).jpg
    crawfish (5).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
What a beauty! You're making me want to get a crayfish again. :)

We catch and eat those where from in louisiana we beef melt for bait and they love it or you could use chicken liver.

That appears to be a male redclaw crayfish, Cherax quadricarinatus. As others have said, crays will eat pretty much anything. Redclaws are no exception, but their diet should be weighted more towards vegetable matter. Algae wafers are a good staple, and any vegetables that it likes. You can make your own crayfish food pretty cheaply too; look up recipes for "snail jello", which is intended for snails but is just as good for crays.

Hi,

I was told it was a female blue crayfish from the shop...

It was grey when i bought it and it was just a iddy baby but all he ate while he was small was carrot,peas and bloodworm.

He likes kryll aswell.

As you can see i obviously dont know much about crayfish but i figure he wasnt a blue because he never actually went blue...

"Blue" crayfish are color morphs of various species. Your cray may have some blue genes. The four ridges on top of the "head" region are diagnostic for C. quads. Besides which, there are very few other crayfish legal for sale in the UK.

I'm pretty sure the red coloration on the claws indicates it's male. But I could be wrong.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back