Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding T.shanjing 2009

petro

Reaction score
This year wash everything going wrong,from the eggs layed in june only one survived.
Directly after laying they became white with fungus(I think that's the word)and didn't survive.)
After that, the new layd one's hat some survivers en the last ones(énd of july and augustus) are stil allive.About hundred
Still have some eggs,they are near hatching.(SEPTEMBER!)
Only just one became juvenile till this moment.
29xamqb.jpg

3492c89.jpg

25sbic1.jpg

First morf
2ikxr8m.jpg

Petro

Last edited:

petro

Reaction score
Yesterday the last eggs hatched,after de last one I found out that there are 40 of them.
Stil keeping them together,tommorow they going seperate.(around 12 st. a box.)
Petro

Ben Krysa

Reaction score
Oh man! I hope I can breed T.shanjing one day. Of all my species , I'd like to breed them the most. Nice job!

petro

Reaction score
This year is going to be good voor T.shanjing(at least in my house)
All the eggs are hatched and the first group is landing.
I really don't now how to put pictures here anymore!?
Petro

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
This is really good to see - brilliant work! What temperature are you keeping the larvae at?

Chris

PanTech

Reaction score
Oh man! I hope I can breed T.shanjing one day. Of all my species , I'd like to breed them the most. Nice job!

Ben I hope you do breed t.shanjing. We need some breeders in canada! The "for sale" section of this forum is pretty much dead for canadians. I have looked everywhere for T.shanjing in quebec and have had 0 luck. Hopefully the reptile expo in montreal will have some for me....

petro

Reaction score
I keep them with different temperature's.
I keep 50 larvea on 14 á 15 degrees C.
50 ,, ,, 20 á 21 ,, C.
and 40 ,, ,, somwhere between.
The older larvea have the lowest temp.
Because when there just hatched thy wil be dead in á day or so,when the temperature is below 16 degree's C.
Petro

This is really good to see - brilliant work! What temperature are you keeping the larvae at?

Chris

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Whoa! Those are very larvae! I wish you the best luck to can have some from you!;)

newtguyDave

Reaction score
Glad to see others are working and breeding this species. Do others find that the morphs take a while to get started eating? If anyone is interested in trading for increased genetic stock let me know.

Dave

NewtZoo

Reaction score
Great job Petro! I have tried for two years to get my T. Shanjing to breed and thy will not do the "silly silly". I even induced hibernation and nothing? Maybe I should use a larger breeding tank (more H2O). Any sugestions would be great! I have read through most of the forums trying to see what other preople do. I was told they were Wild Caught so they might be stubbern. Grrrrrr!

freves

Reaction score
I agree. I have become frustrated with my groups. This winter I plan on putting some in the fridge to see if that makes any difference. Congratuations Petro! I would love to see this species produced on a regular bases by hobbyists.
Chip

newtguyDave

Reaction score
After 6 years I was able to finally get mine to breed. My females always had the eggs, it was getting the males in the mood. I keep mine mostly aquatic (can send pics if anyone is interested). I use the protocol the Detroit Zoo uses. When I was ready I raised the water level a couple of inches and increased the light cycle. After a week so I noticed spermatophors on the land and the enclosure trashed. Shortly after I was getting eggs anf for the next month or so after. in total I would say I got 200-300 hundred eggs from 2 females.

Would be happy to chat more on this. Also interested in trading for new genes. Mine are F1 and the females were purchased w.c. adults in 2003.

Don't give up hope, they come around!

Dave

NewtZoo

Reaction score
Hey Dave,
Post a pic of your set up. I was told to make it mostly terrestrial then submerge in the spring, but this may not be enough? Would like to see how breeding newts live. Would like to chat more as well about your methods.
If you are looking to trade out for new genes try contacting "Tree walkers International" and look at their stewardship program. Its their primary goal to promote crossing with other breeders, and they could use more caudate members.
Cheers

Tyler

newtguyDave

Reaction score
Hey Tyler,

Here are a couple of pics. These were right after the female started laying eggs in July, The water is normally an 1.5 inches less deep. The second pic has eggs. Got 3 rounds of eggs this year.

Hope this is helpful

Hey Dave,.
Post a pic of your set up. I was told to make it mostly terrestrial then submerge in the spring, but this may not be enough? Would like to see how breeding newts live. Would like to chat more as well about your methods.
If you are looking to trade out for new genes try contacting "Tree walkers International" and look at their stewardship program. Its their primary goal to promote crossing with other breeders, and they could use more caudate members.
Cheers

Tyler

Attachments

• emp set up low res.jpg
    emp set up low res.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,090
  • emp with eggs.jpg
    emp with eggs.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 724
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1