Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: URGENT: Axolotl not eating, real skinny, mouth wide open, looks dead peeling skin. HELP!!!

missbee

Reaction score
I am really worried and dont know what to do!

My Ax stopped eating about a week ago.. Wont even his his favourite meat (specialty axy frozen meat).

He has gotton really skinny, his skin looks to be peeling, his mouth is wide open and he looks dead. I thought he was and went to scoop him out, then he slightly wriggled away. He is just laying on the bottom looking real sad :(

I dont know what to do. I dont want him to starve to death or suffer :(

Has anyone experienced this?

Also his 'feet' look like they are shriveled slightly and his feather on his head are shrunk..

He used to be real active, lapping his tank and now he just lies ther looking.. dead!

PatricALOTL

Reaction score
This sounds terrible.......:(
do you know what the water quality is like (nitrITE and NitrATE, pH, chlorine levels and temprature)...any number of these things could be a factor of why your Axie isnt looking to good????

if you could find out that would be a real help to diagnosing....

missbee

Reaction score
omg!! No! how do i find out??

i know this sounds really stupid, but i dont know any of this stuff :(

bitenomnom

Reaction score
I would get a testing kit. They sell kits that use bottles of liquid (as the indicators/etc.) at the Petsmart by here...I imagine they would have such things at other pet stores.
The liquid tests are better than the strips that you dip in water. (Although I guess in an emergency like this if you can't find the liquid tests the strips would do.) I have an API Master Freshwaster Test Kit (or something like that?) that comes with pH, high range pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests.

Toptex

Reaction score
Missbee its really important that your water quality is good for your axie. Could you imagine humans living in a polluted space for long periods. Sorry I know I'm sounding like I'm lecturing you but you need to look what is best for your axie as you would any pet. Some basic steps to begin with are (I'll leave the expert advice for the professionals): fridge your axie. Don't worry he will be ok. Then go and buy an API test kit that tests all the above mentioned chemical levels - (the glass test-tube kits are best. Don't waste your money on dipsticks). That can be purchased at any pet shop. You must also read this forum too as it will give you a better idea as to what to look out for. Let us know how you get on.
Good luck and hope your axie gets better soon

missbee

Reaction score
i really appreciate everyones help :)

a few more Q's..

Why fridge him? you mean put him in the fridge? why? and how long?

i have a PH test kit.. I havent tested it for a few weeks cause its always good. I will test it soon. I am at work but will duck him quickly

what about him not eating? should i be concerned?

thanks again :)

bitenomnom

Reaction score
Someone else should be able to give you a very detailed breakdown of fridging (I'm trying to find the article that's on here...). But you do it because the cold reduces stress and helps healing. Just make sure it's not too cold! I believe it needs to be above 4 degrees Celsius/40 degrees Fahrenheit? Treated water. But don't just dump him into the cold water at first -- let the water cool down with him. I believe the typical recommendation is a couple of weeks and you'll need to change the water every day? There is a really good article around here about it...I'll keep looking. Should just keep it in my bookmarks.

pH is good to test, but the others (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) are the biggest of your concerns. Although if there is ammonia you will want to know the pH, because a higher pH means the ammonia is even more toxic.

Probably figuring out what's wrong and reducing his stress will eventually lead to him eating. If you put him in the fridge, he will need to eat less.

How often have you been doing a partial water change?

missbee

Reaction score
water evaporates from my tank so i top it every week..

i will duck home and test ph now..

if someone can help with fridging, that will be great :)

missbee

Reaction score
oh wow.. the fridge idea is amazing. I will definitely do this...
i will also try to get pics... be back soon and thanks again

PatricALOTL

Reaction score
OKEY DOKE
first of all:

-Put the axolotl in a tuppaware container in the fridge, with a lid and wrap in a tea towel, so that when the fridge door keeps getting opened by people it will not be disturbed by light changes.

-make sure that the water you put in the container is TREATED (meaning the water has had chemicals to age the water and get rid of chlorine and chloramine, you can buy this chemicals at like Woolworths and Coles in the pet Aisle, and pretty much every pet shop) also make sure the water covers the axie completly

-by FRIDGING the axie, the cold water will slow down its metabolism, it may not want to eat anything, this ok, they can last weeks without food, in cold water.

-dont worry about aerating the water, cuz cold water HOLDS more OXYGEN, and axies in cold water use less oxygen anyway.

that is fridging!, as for HOW LONG. i like to keep them in there overnight, check on them in the morning and continue until they look better, you can try to feed them (i use live earthworms) if the temp in the fridge is over 7 or 8 degrees, he might not want to eat though, so dont be worried

ALSO

- keep a 2ND tuppaware container (or ice-cream container) in the fridge with treated water, because you are going to need to change the water 100% everyday, while its in the fridge, so you can just swap the container the axie is in, and then clean the other container, and fill it up with treated water again. much easier.

it sounds to me your axolotl has got some sort of fungus/bacteria (very common)

SOOOOO

-FRIDGING is great to help the healing process (fungus and bacteria cant grow in cold water) also very relaxing. while fridging your axie you are going to need to give him salt baths....because it sounds like your axie might have bacteria growing

*a salt bath is just a container filled with treated water and 2-3 teaspoon on UNIODISED salt for every LITRE of water it will say on the label if it is iodised or not (i use just natural sea salt, look at the ingredients also) DO NOT leave axie in the salt bath longer than 10 - 15 minutes, because the salt will start to affect the gills

-do these salt baths twice a day alongside fridging, try to space out the baths to like, 8am and 8pm, less stressful then.

-the combination of salt baths and fridging should help alot, just check on him every day to see the progress...

i hope your axolotl is feeling better REALLY SOOOOOON

bitenomnom

Reaction score
You will need to actually remove some (10-20%) of the water and replace it each week in addition to topping off the tank. That might be part of the problem. Perhaps you should do that as well (a 20% PWC) just to be safe. But make sure to do those other water tests ASAP to see what else needs to be done.

PatricALOTL

Reaction score
ALSOOOOOOOOO

when you make up the salt bath, put the salt in, and give it a stir so it will dislove, BEFORE you put the axie in, .... direct contact will burn the axies skin, its very uncomfortable

i hope i helped;)

x.X.pat-E.X.x:cool:

missbee

Reaction score
oh thankyou :)

i will do the salt baths and fridge idea :)

didnt get to duck home to him @ lunch.. but as soon as i get home i will be on to this!!

i will stay in touch so everyone can see and know his progress..

thankyou again :)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Do not do salt baths... I suspect strongly this is a water quality problem. However do the fridging with the dechlorinated water. If you are unable to test the water, take a sample to the pet shop.

Toptex

Reaction score
Missbee. How are you going....and more to the point, how is your axie? Did you manage to get your water tested? Is your axie feeling better for the fridging?
Looking forward to an update.

Cheers
MA:ufo:(compliments from my 8 year old)

Ally2017

Reaction score
]Hello my name is Ally. My axolotl seemed stressed and I was told to put him the frigde, he has been in there for about a week now. He color came back but his mouth is still wide open. I went to switch him in the other container and I thought he was dead because he was not moving at all he only started moving when I took him out and then he was upside down when I put him in the new container and was having a hard time move. I am not sure what to do..can you please help me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!