Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Please help, this is scary

sarahgraham1990

Reaction score
my axelotl this morning had its gills attacked by another this morning.
It is just rolling around the tank, and cant seem to balance. I am 90% sure it is going to die, please help me if i can do anything to bring it back to health.!

please :(

PatricALOTL

Reaction score
Hey there...

Carefully take out the injured axolotl and put it in a tuppaware or ice-cream container in the fridge, make sure the water level is just enough to cover it, this should help to stop it floating and rolling around.

Make sure you are able to lid the container and wrap it in a tea-towel, so that when people open and close the fridge it wont become disturbed (light changes e.g)

By keeping it cold (no lower than 4 degrees celius) it should help the axolotl to heal, calm and relax....

then just hope for the best....i know i will :sad: :happy:

sarahgraham1990

Reaction score
thank you so much!!!!!!
i dont want to loose my bubbles :(
it just is strange that i caught the other axelotl grabbing her on her gills but she doesnt have any other damage but yet she is floating like she is constipated.
i can only hope for the best. Thanks so much for your help muchly appreciated.

sarahgraham1990

Reaction score
unfortunately bubbles died :(
i just dont understand how the ripping of the tenticle bits on his gills (only on one side) cause cause him so much trouble,
he was floating all around the tank and doing handstands. poor thing.
RIP

salamandrid

Reaction score
thing that you experienced is kind of normal thing with couple of axolotls in small tank,or male-male,or male-female,he was stressed and that is reason why he was doing that,mine are doing that from time to time when some of them become to noisy and bother other one but no one died they just run away from each other.........sorry for bubbles

PatricALOTL

Reaction score
awwwww, ... so sad to hear...:sad:
i had hope for the little guy...:sad:

GemzD26

Reaction score
Hiya,

Im so sorry to read about you axolotol dying.

Ive only had my lexi 2 weeks and really love her.

Its crazy how much you can love these little creatures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1