Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Caresheet for Cynops cyanurus?

Aimee

Reaction score
Hello All :happy:

I was just poking around the cc pages and noticed that there isn't a specific caresheet for Cynops cyanurus. Is the care of these guys pretty similar to the other cynops species? I'm curious as I have been contemplating aqcuiring some newts (in the probably-not-so-near future) and am particularly interested in this species. Can anyone with first hand experience offer some input?

Thank you :wacko:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
If you ask me, these are an excellent species for anyone to have. They can tolerate warmer temperatures than most newts. They are EASILY bred, the juveniles morph larger than most Cynops species, and will remain aquatic which is a huge plus. They eat just about anything; chopped worms, salmon pellets, bloodworms, etc. Mine will even eat red wigglers.

merk199

Reaction score
Read the cynops orientalis, cynops popei caresheets. That will give you the basic idea. They eat the same as both those species and can be kept similarly. I keep mine in a basement at 67 degrees. I would not keep them at the higher end like popei but more towards the 70 degree area.

Also in the cynops advanced section there is an excellent thread on the cyranus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!