Obstacles with new salamandra

firesalamander

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dylan
Hi This is a thread for people to discuss their obstacles with getting new salamandra.

I recently acquired two baby salamandra. When they arrived they were both healthy and I fed one right away. But the other one would not eat. After 3 days of persistence I finally got him to eat a worm. A few more days past when I started to notice he was becoming more and more stressed. Then when I went to check on him I found him laying on his side not breathing. So I panicked and put him in a cave. He sat there not moving for hours then all the sudden I saw his tail start to move.

We are caught up to the now. I will keep you updated.

Re: Obstacles with getting new salamandra

What temp are you keeping them at?

69-70

i'd try to keep them lower than that mine are kept at 65/67.

Well in the winter it will get to 62 but right now its warmer

Is there some where else that is cooler you can put them.

no. Do you know if salamanders twitch when they die?

I think we need to know a bit more info, how big were they when you got them, were they posted or did you collect, how exactly are you keeping them, substrate etc???
If they are new metamorphs they have difficulty dealing with the upper limit of their temp range, you may have find the worm may have been too big!!

Ben

Those temps are not too high, but they are not ideal either. You should try to keep them cooler.
If your plan is to keep them at room temperature year round, i think you are going to have problems.

The twiching is a bad sign, but then again, laying on one side is too. Revise their husbandry.

I got them on caudata from monkeyfrogman. I have a video of my setup on caudata. They have been out of the water for 2 months. He is just hanging on. I hope he makes it.

i truly think you need to get the sick one into a tub with moist tissue, a piece of cork bark, and give it small crickets to build it up, i think its intimidated by its envoironment, and it cant find enough small food to eat, i think you said they were just over an inch long, mine morph at double that, and i keep them in tubs with lots of small crickets to eat until they get more adventurous

Ben

When I actually measured them they turned out to be around 2 1/2 inches

well i would do as sonic says and put it on it's own till you have built it up.

I am relucant to do that until he regains his strength. He is on edge as you can get and one false move and he is dead.

well want about removing the other one.

The only problem is that they are both in the same hide so opening it up would disturb the sick one.

Doing nothing is definitely not going to help. I´m with Ben too, moving it to a quarantine type set-up will help. I suspect, other than the less than ideal temps, the problem might have been that the juvenile ingested some of the coco fiber.
I would move it, keep it cooler and undisturbed.

Your the experts. I think it's from stress because I urged it to feed when I just got it instead of letting it get acclimated.

lol i'm no expert i just do listen to ben if not he'll only shout at me.:happy:

Good luck, co co fiber ingestion is a possibility but isolation mey be the answer to saving it, they are fairly hardy so dont write it off yet!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back