Covadonga / Mirador Fire Salamanders

Hooky87

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi i seen these for sale on another forum and have not heard of these before does anyone have any info on these.

Matt

they are both regional varieties of galliaca:D

About £30 each weren't they???

i only paid £15 for mine i would pay more for a older one that was sexed
but not a unsexed baby.

Some times I really miss Blighty.

Hello, I think they are both regional varieties of S.S.Bernardezii. They put his larvae on land, not in water;)

Are you sure they are gallaica?? By locality they could also be bernardezi...

Hello, I think they are both regional varieties of S.S.Bernardezii. They put his larvae on land, not in water;)

I too think they might be S.s.bernardezi..without a picture is just a possibility. They don´t give birth to larvae, they give birth to fully formed juveniles...just to clarify your point, because they aren´t larvae anymore.
I think the capacity of giving birth to terrestrial juveniles is facultative though, meaning that not all populations or individuals do (although i´m not a 100% sure).

Isnt the production of fully formed terrestrial larvae influenced by specific enviromental factors such as colder climates?

Also I was under the impression that it was Fastuosa populations that had a stronger tedency to be fully viviparous.

As a safe bet I would think they were Bernadezi, but in my own oppinion their more likely to be a boundary line hybrid. At some point Bernadezi populations give way to Gallacia and Fastuosa, its just trying to pin point the intermediate zone.

Fastuosa can give birth to fully formed juveniles but it happens only in certain populations. The norm for them is to give birth to aquatic larvae. In the species S.salamandra, the subspecies bernardezi is the one that commonly has fully formed juveniles.
I´m not sure if environmental factors play a big part in this...to my understanding it´s mainly a genetic thing. I´ve heard of fastuosa individuals having both strategies, which perhaps would point to environmental factors.

so are we saying that they could be gallaica or bernadezi and all bernadezi give birth to live young and only Fastuosa in some populations.

Matt

no, sorry, my fault, i was in the process of doing sexing pics of fires and was photographing galliaca at the time and had them on the brain, of course you are right they are s s bernadezi!!!:confused:

so are we saying that they could be gallaica or bernadezi and all bernadezi give birth to live young and only Fastuosa in some populations.

Matt

i think u need to ask if they have some pictures.

As far as i know not all bernardezi are viviparous.
Are these Salamandra you saw for sale WC? If so....i personally beg you not to buy them...(specially since bernardezi are commonly bred in the UK).

As far as i know not all bernardezi are viviparous.
Are these Salamandra you saw for sale WC? If so....i personally beg you not to buy them...(specially since bernardezi are commonly bred in the UK).

they were CB i wont be buying these just wanted to know what subspeices they were

MAtt

Felizycontento you have a viciously cruel sense of humor posting Images that like...

How I long to live at the foot of a snowy mountain with beautiful countryside around me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back