Question: Feeding young newts

tuann

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys, just bought some fire bellies last yesterday they're at least a pinky length (tail included). When I asked when they were fed, the guy said saturday...so feeding day is creeping up. My problem is my newts don't seem very active, all they do is bask bask bask lol, and I have these sinking pellets for them. How abouts do I get them to notice the pellets so I can feed them?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, so feed them daily?

how safe are bait shop/gas station night crawlers?

I don't use pellets so I wouldn't know. All I know is that you need to make it look alive, so hold on to the food and move it slowly in front of its face. DO NOT use tweazers. You cant seriously hurt him/her.

Last edited by a moderator:
How exactly would the tweezers hurt them?? I´ve been using tweezers to feed animals since i can remember and never once had a problem...

ok, so feed them daily?

how safe are bait shop/gas station night crawlers?

I would feed them daily for a little while longer until they are a little larger. Then you could back the feedings down to 3 times a week. Bait shop or gas station worms should be perfectly fine, probably at least 75% of the members here get their worms from these locations.

ahh ok, thanks for help guys, another question, my newts are about 3inches and i cut the worms down to 1cm and feed them that.....i fed them 2 pieces of that.....is that enough? or should i feed them more?

Right now I would feed them until they won't eat anymore, should be around half a worm. You could also try bloodworms, they'll gobble those up.

I heard it can cut them so you just wait

I heard it can cut them so you just wait

Where/Who did you hear that from? You are supposed to use rounded tip tweezers to prevent just that.. maybe whoever told you used the wrong tweezers? Sounds like something a Pet shop would say.. :rolleyes:

:confused:i need help, a lady at apet shop told me that fire bellied newts eat crickets and meal worms do they eat that please reply

If you do a search round the forums you will find lots of information about the correct diet for fire bellied newts. I would think that earthworms would be a good staple, they are nutritious for caudates and readily taken and enjoyed by most.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back