Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Slimy salamander or Red salamander?

firesalamander

Reaction score
Hi there is a reptile show coming up in 2 months and one of the sellers is likely to have both slimy and red salamanders. I was wondering which one I should get? I will be trying to establish a breeding colony. Its over 2 months away so I have a lot of time to prepare.:D

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Breeding either species is not going to be easy. I recommend the slimy salamander since they can tolerate a little warmer temps than the red salamanders. Red salamanders become very stressed if the temps reach above 65F.

Nathan

Reaction score
It will depend a bit on the animal's origin for either species; individuals from southern lowlands will be more heat-tolerant than northern or upland individuals. Still and all, slimies are hardier than reds. You can find slimies in leaf litter in late spring and early summer; this microhabitat stays cooler than the ambient temp, but still can be pretty warm. Reds on the other hand are closely tied to spring runs (at least in the south) where temps usually stay below 65 or so. I have kept reds in a refrigerator, but wouldn't try them at room temp.

firesalamander

Reaction score
alright... They also had other interesting species there. Ill just have to wait and see.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1