Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen Ideas - Food that Sinks?

cloud9ine

Reaction score
I've been a bad girl and have been feeding my newts, for a while, solely bloodworms and brine shrimp (and at that, the brime shrimp only as larva). I tried the glassworms, but they float to the surface so that just doesn't work. I tried waxworms and other types of larvae...which they did not take to one bit. The cut earthworms were too big for them and they refused those. I am beginning to think my pack of CO's are fussy buggers.

ANY suggestions for frozen food, that sinks, is much appreciated!!!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Mysis shrimp, and the rest of Hikari Brand's frozen freshwater products.

Live blackworms and Live Daphnia magna work well also.

cloud9ine

Reaction score
Sadly there is no Hikari products here - only Sally's and I haven't seen frozen mysis shrimp. :mad: Will try to get my hands on some live food, however, I can't get my hands on this right away as they don't carry any at the stores here.

One would think that is a decent sized city, freshwater food would be easy to find...!

salamandrid

Reaction score
u can make your own food very easy and froze it up,I was doing that long ago

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chopped raw liver, chopped raw shrimp (in moderation). If you can't get blackworms, you might consider growing whiteworms, which are fairly easy. Have you considered bait shop earthworms?

cloud9ine

Reaction score
Will try the bait shop earthworms. I go to my cottage every weekend and i pass by a dozen bait shops...might as well pick some up and see how it goes. However, even chopped up was too big for them last time i tried...my fatties may like it but their little siblings may be too small for earthworms (the vegetarian in me hates to chop the earthworms up into minuscule bits!!)

I'm going to see what they have at the store....they usually bring in different stuff every week. I'm just getting frustrated with frozen stuff that doesnt sink...other than bloodworms (ONLY thing that i could find that sinks...in 7 years). I'd like to give them a good, fatty treat every now and again.

cloud9ine

Reaction score
Got some mysis shrimp. Dropped them in the tank. They checked them out for a while then slowly started to eat them; now they're going to town on them!

Only problem is half of them float and the other half sink. The thing I like about bloodworms is they all sink and stay put, making for easy clean up later (food gets dropped in the same spot, in the front, every time they are fed). I have a rather difficult tank to clean, with a lot of plants and the like).

DeCypher

Reaction score
I've been using live blackworms for about 3 months now, and my newts just gobble them up like there's no tomorrow! I would highly recommend these, but I am not sure if there's a place that sells them where you live. If there are, I definitely think you should try live blackworms. (and yes, they sink :happy:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!