Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank light?

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
Hello,

I just put new plants in my axolotl tank and was thinking that it still doesn't look very good. I was then looking at other tank pictures and figured out the problem! All the other tanks have lights to show the plants! The lights make the plants and tank look better and greener. I have all low light plants though (anubias barteri, nana, java moss, java fern, and java fern (windelov)) and was wondering what to do. Suggestions? Is a light okay? (I don't want the light to heat my tank though cause I have a hard enough time keeping it cool as it is...) Thanks for the help.

dodgy

Reaction score
iv been thinking about what lights to use myself & i'm going to try white LED's all around the top edges of the tank, it should look good even if it does'nt work very well.

mifuneaxie

Reaction score
That will be interesting. You should post a picture of your tank when you're done.

What about a fluorescent light bulb? I found that those don't give off much heat. I don't know much about light bulbs, but the one I had been looking at said that it was a 15 watt fluorescent bulb which was equivalent in brightness to a 60-90 Watt incandescent light bulb. Is that really bright? Or not? I know axolotls don't like it too bright...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1