Question: Axolotl for a classroom?

morphyrichards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Steve Richards
Hi,
I currently keep a couple of small invert tanks in my classroom. They are very useful for creating all kinds of interest with the pupils. Someone is donating to me a large glass tank, not sure exactly how large but I think at least 60L, possibly more. I want to get an Axolotl for this tank when it arrives but have a few questions.

In one of my invert tanks I have quite a lot of happily breeding scuds. I'd like to add some of these to the Axie tank for the couple of weeks or so while the tank is cycling. I was thinking they might be a good source of treats for the Axlotol to forage around for. The scuds originally came from a pond a few months ago along with some plants. As they've been effectively quarantined away from fish for all this time is it likely they will be safe and free from parasites?

I've been running an experiment on a very small tank with a thermometer to monitor water temp in the place where the tank will go and the temp is at a pretty much constant 21C which I think may be a little too high. I've been looking at some options for cooling and have come across inexpensive aquarium cooling fans which blow air down onto the water surface. Does anyone have any experience with these fans and do they work?

I plan to take the Axie home over long 6 weeks summer holidays but will the Axie be ok for the shorter 1 - 2 week breaks? Perhaps with a timed fish feeder to drop in some food like freeze dried stuff?

A lot of the kids in the area I teach are into fishing and often have access to a supply of maggots. Would maggots be a suitable food for Axies if they were to bring some in from time to time? Is there any kind of insect / worm etc that I should definately avoid using as food?

Thanks,

Hi,

1 - Yes, your idea of accelerating the cycling process in the new tank with the scuds is a feasible one. As they are an isolated population effectively quarantined for many months, they should be safe to use as a cycling 'catalyst' as well as a snack when the axie arrives.

Many people just stop at saying 'quarantine for 30 days', but fail to actually concisely explain what it entails. Now what exactly do we actually look for during the quarantine process? It is not merely leaving the fish/shrimp there for that period of time. It is actually actively observing for signs of illness and parasites in these quarantined fish, shrimp and snails during this period. If everything appears fine during that period, it is normally quite safe to assume the livefood is healthy and not carrying any infectious pathogen.

With freshwater livebearers, especially the shoal fish, look for signs of 'flashing' whereby a fish swims erratically causing a 'flash' of the reflection off its scales.

With fish and shrimps, any abnormal growths, erected scales, discolouration, abnormal feeding, surfacing for air and such are telltale signs that something is amiss. These livefood would likely harbour an infectious agent that despite the 30 days minimum quarantine still prove to be infectious to the axie. They can be asymptomatic carriers.

There is always a small chance that an infectious agent or eggs (ie snails) can be transferred to the new tank despite quarantine.

2 - Small tank fans work very well. It also depends on the ambient humidity. In a dry climate, the fans will be very effective at cooling the tank via evaporation. In really humid areas, the fans will be less effective.

3 - Do not use a auto timer feeder. They are more likely to cause overfeeding. It is best to be able to control the amount of food delivered and observe the amount consumed to avoid uneaten food which can cause water chemistry problems. Have a read of this.
http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/vacation_care.shtml

4 - With livefood. I highly recommend live earthworms and blackworms as staples. Axies can survive and thrive very well even if fed exclusively these two food types. Other adjunct 'supplementary' food are bloodworms and axie pellets. Any other insects or meat strips are suitable as very occasional treats. In general avoid chitinous (hard exoskeleton) type insects such as beetles and mealworms. They can cause constipation or even impaction due to the highly indigestible nature of their shells. Insects that have potential to bite (such as dragonfly larvae, mealworm, centipedes) are to be avoided or have their heads crushed/decapitated. Toxic insects are definitely a no no. Brightly coloured caterpillars etc. are best left alone. With soft bodied worms, some axies avoid the red wrigglers due to the foul substance excreted as a defense mechanism. Axies do tend to get used to it and would feed on them after a while. I highly recommend avoiding tubifex worms. These are bred in really putrid waters and are a known documented source of infections in aquaculture.

To add to this I have heard that maggots bred for fishing are fed on rotting animal carcasses,, not really what you would want your axie ingesting! I would leave the maggots out and stick to the earthworms.

Yuk and another thought just occured to me, children bringing maggots into a school is bound to end in disaster!

Looks like it's going to be a wormery then, are worms that have been dug up in a garden ok for this kind of thing? And any suggestions on how to make a good productive wormery thats also nice and visual?

Hello again, I've thought of another question. Regarding filtering, currently I've got my two small invert tank's sponge filters attached to a powerful air pump with dual outlets. I use regulators on the air lines to limit the air flow. The pump I'm using is apparently made for aeriating ponds so I'm sure it's got lots of extra capacity. When I get the axxie tank I'd like to run one air line to the two invert tanks via a splitter and run a line to the axxie tank via the other outlet on the pump. Assuming that I'm going to use this method as opposed to a powered filter what is the best type of air pump powered filtration? I've seen simple sponge filters, under gravel filters and filters that attach to the side of a tank which seems to use a cartridge containing sponge and some sort of gravel.
I think the tank I'm going to be getting will be about 1 meter long by 30 cm by about 35 cm high so that would be mmm ... have I got this right :eek: ... 90000 cc which is 90 litres.
Thanks again :happy:

As long as the axolotl are fit and healthy and a good size, leaving them during the school holidays should be fine. They can cope well un fed for 2 weeks or more. You'll need to make sure that filters are not switched off .
Regarding worms , I collect mine from the compost bin. Once this is established you'll have plenty.
Out of interest, do you teach at a primary or secondary school?

Hi, thanks for that! Its at a secondary school and I'm an ICT / IT teacher... In East London, actually almost next door to Stratford where they are building the stuff for the 2012 Olympics.

I've seen simple sponge filters, under gravel filters and filters that attach to the side of a tank which seems to use a cartridge containing sponge and some sort of gravel.

Hi.

This is the type of filter I use. Fantastic at a low price. and you can 'see' the rubbish thats being sucked out of the water!!! I'd recommend!

Looks like it's going to be a wormery then, are worms that have been dug up in a garden ok for this kind of thing? And any suggestions on how to make a good productive wormery thats also nice and visual?
I don't think I've ever seen a wormery that is "visual". Worms usually live in dark places, so any attempt to make them visible won't work. The kids will have to dig to see them!

If you collect worms from an established compost, they would probably do OK in a wormery. But the plain gray-colored worms that you might find in soil in your yard will not. If you read through the posts in the Live Foods - Earthworms section of this forum, you will find some details on growing worm compost. Also, on the internet of course.

A good standby (non-live) food for axolotls is slices of freeze-dried cubes of tubifex worms dusted with calcium powder. They are available from aquarium shops. My axolotls love them, fed using long forceps.

I have seen a wormery at various country shows. Its based on a compost bin, but has a clear side , I suspect its more a display item. The primary school that my cherubs attend has just started using compost bins...after the initial squeals regarding the worms/ and insects they now quite enjoy bringing veg matter to 'feed' the worms . An internet search will show you some options.

Just a note wrt using a fan - which I do most of the time in a rather warm class room (secondary school) - my 4' tank loses about a litre per day through evaporation, so be aware that the tank water is constantly getting more concentrated on the impurities front! It took me a couple of weeks to realise.............now I top up daily, as well as the weekly percentage water change.

Sparkle & Heather

Hi Heather,
thanks for the info. It's good to know that Axolotls and schools can mix! Was wondering how many fans you use on your tank and what type? My tank is 3 foot. I've been eyeing up what basically looks like 4 PC case fans with a clamp to mount to the top of the tank. (Although I'm also thinking about seeing if our ICT tech's have any old case fans knocking around I can press into use, their only 12V so safe enough to use) How many / what type of fan do you use?

One idea I've got is for a control project to switch on / off the fan as needed with a thermocouple which might minimise the evaporation problem a bit... will let you know ... the aquarium isnt even in place yet so all this is still hypothetical.

:happy:MR...I just love what you're doing for those kids!!! Such a beautiful and intriguing animal for kids to learn about!! I also think it teaches a sense of responsibility, care and dedication above anything else.

My Mum is a child minder. My Axie, Ron, was at her house for a few weeks whilst OUR home move went ahead. The kids adored feeding him worms, drawing pictures about him and telling stories to their friends about the little 'sea monster'!!

Was wondering how many fans you use on your tank and what type? My tank is 3 foot. I've been eyeing up what basically looks like 4 PC case fans with a clamp to mount to the top of the tank. (Although I'm also thinking about seeing if our ICT tech's have any old case fans knocking around I can press into use, their only 12V so safe enough to use) How many / what type of fan do you use?

Hi again - (are you really a kettle?) - I simply found a small fan (about 12" high) in my store room! I stood it on a small upturned bucket next to the tank & aimed it, then I added a notice about not turning it off..........we do have the advantage of plenty of space, most of which I have now filled with tanks & plants.

We had open day 2 days last week, and many people were dragged into our labs specifically to see the axies (& my snake!). I am sure that my influences are improving the general ambiance in our department!

Not surprisingly, with the tank light turned off, 'Sparkle' (golden albino) came out of hiding more readily, to be viewed, while his tank mate 'Spot' (leucistic) doesn't seem to care about the light much.

Heather & Sparkle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back