Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Corner tanks.....

Rosie2407

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have recently moved house and my axolotl tank doesn't fit in as well as it used to. I'm toying with the idea of a corner tank..... I'm aware that I will need to be careful when picking one so that it is suitable for my axi. I don't have the space for one of the really big ones. The smallest ones that appear to be on the market are about 30L. The dimensions are 53W x 35D x 44H
any thoughts on this?? it seems small....
also...... I don't usually use a filter as I change the water regularly instead. This has served me well so far (been keeping axis about 10 years) but once I get my new tank I may get an undergravel filter....

your thoughts would be much appreciated!!! my axolotls are taking over the house lol!!!!

flan123

Reaction score
Hi Rosie.

I believe the general consensus would deter the use of an UGF, as they can cause considerable currents in the tank which can stress an axie out.

Hope this helps!

PS - You don't USE gravel, do you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aimee

Reaction score
Hi Rosie,

Undergravel filters are not very suitable for axolotl setups because they clog up frequently from uneaten food and waste. For a smaller tank, sponge and overhang filters work pretty well as long as they don't create too much current.

Also, I would say that a 30L tank is too small for a single axie. 40L would work, but even that is a little cramped.

And Flan - I'm thinking you meant to type "as" but left your finger lingering on the 's' key for just a tiny bit too long.... :p

Rosie2407

Reaction score
Hmmmm....just as I thought!
Thanks guys for your input. I thought this would be too small. Not sure what to do now!
And, no, I don't use 'gravel' at the moment. It's quite hard to make decisions, there is a lot of conflicting info out there so it's good to be able to check things out here before you do anything. Thanks again for your help.

Back to the drawing board!

xx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1