Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My axolotl very sick very worried!

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hello
this is my first time on any forum

I'm hoping someone can help me :confused::(
I have 2 axolotls golden albino male and white albino female
My male is very sick at the moment not sure where to start. Combination of things leading up to this mess
Long story short
my male starting refusing food - at this time i was traveling away alot with work so my partner was feeding them for me and i fractured my right arm was in plaster for a few weeks (so was trying to feed them left handed and then wrapped my arm in glad wrap and rubber glove to feed and clean their home.

It's been about 5 nearly 6 weeks since he's eaten. I bought both axolotls at the same time not sure how long they in lfs about 6 or 7 months ago both have been trouble free till last 6weeks
Both have been living on pellets only
i tried a few different things in the last couple weeks - lean streak, chicken, meal worms, blood worms any thing to get my male to eat he lifts his head to look but just wont eat

About 10 days my female (she is feeding normally) had a chomp at him and mangled his right back leg it looked abit nasty for afew days and just started to look abit better last night when to my horror this morning found him belly up. He still alive but is very weak i helped over and my female has had another go at him on right front leg (flesh only from what i can see) and right side gill area. He still can move around
Last week took water sample in to lfs they couldn't find anything wrong with water
He moves around the tank, his gills are good colour alittle short but till this morning were good a took pics with me to lfs and apart from his leg and being alittle thin they thought he looked pretty good considering how long since he has eaten
I always feed with reptile thongs and hve never had any problems till now
They are in a 60l x 30w x 35d and hve bigger stones on the bottom of tank and piece of pvc pipe and ornatment shaped like old pipes for them to hide in. No light on tank and no plants (took them off about 3months ago)

I just wondering if to fridge him - have been reading and looking at this site hoping to find answers
for afew weeks now was abit shy about going on line

I live in Mackay Qld and i know the temp's are abit hot here. considering getting a chiller for my axolotls
I feel like a terrible owner and i don't wont to loss my golden guy.:(:( I have only had fish tanks for about 18 months so still heaps i don't know my lfs is really great with info and help

I've very stressed about what to do:(
What do you think?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, first thing to do is to isolate this injured axie by fridging. Advantages are as follows.

1 - Help destress, boost immunity and aid recovery and regeneration.
2 - Allow you to monitor the feeding and behaviour etc.
3 - Away from the other aggressive axie.

Try live blackworms to stimulate appetite.

Can you post up some photos? I will have to assess its severity and work out a plan for you.

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hey,
Thank you so much
I have some photos on my camera i'll try to work out how to net them on the net

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hey Darkmaverick,

I just took some new photos the ones i took last week were too big to upload (& i don't know how to make them smaller)

I've taken my golden guy out of the tank and put him an icecream container that i use for my fish
He is quite weak understandably so

I've noticed that he has afew times got to the surface of the water and i'm not sure if he breathing in air or letting out gases. Is this a sign of stress?

I just did a quick trip to one of the fish store near me and they didn't have any live black worms
Is the frozen blood worms ok if i can't get hold of black worms?

What do you think?

Attachments

• P9270140.JPG
    P9270140.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 682
  • P9270138.JPG
    P9270138.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 560
  • P9270135.JPG
    P9270135.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 850
  • P9270137.JPG
    P9270137.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 444
  • P9270133.JPG
    P9270133.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 444

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry i missed your post. I tend to log in and off very briefly each time between my lab experiments, teaching and lunch hour and in my haste probably overlooked your new photos.

The injuries are indeed rather nasty. Firstly, how mobile and functional are the two injured limbs? The hind limb injury looks like a good candidate to heal back if the limb is still mobile and no infection sets in. The forelimb has quite a severe injury so i doubt its functional. With a wound like that, there is a high chance that infection will set in.

Fridging is a must throughout, i would recommend you fridge for at least 6 weeks. How much water are you placing in the tub? It should not be too excessive such that the axie floats. It should only be enough just to cover the back. That would prevent floating which itself is stressful to the axie. http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml

Bloodworms are ok but blackworms are best. You want to provide easily digested, easily consumed food that stimulate the axie's appetite while being fridged. Hence live blackworm is best. Alternatively chopped earthworm segments might do. You can also tempt the axie with bits of prawn.

To prevent infection, fungal or bacterial, you must change the water in the tub daily. Ideally, i would give the axie a course of prophylactic antibiotics. Frankly, i would opt to amputate the forelimb and allow it to grow back again neatly. Leaving necrotic tissue sometimes hamper the regeneration process or cause the regeneration to be less than perfect. The upside of leaving it though is that if the wound does regenerate, it will heal faster as there is a 'scaffolding' of existing skeletal structure. The hindlimb if functional, should regenerate. If the hindlimb cannot move (ie dragged about limply), then i would amputate that as well as it would ultimately become necrotic.

With good blood supply and nerve function, an injured limb can grow back.

Other than that, your axie is a good size and has no visible signs of infection.

Here is a list of herpvets in australia.
http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/vets.shtml

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you so much for getting back to me

I appreciate you helping me out with my golden guy
He's in a 4 litre icecream container with 2 litres of water in it. Is this to much?
I'll put in alittle less tonight as he is trying to reach the surface and opening his mouth like he's breathing in air.
sometimes when he's doing this he must lose his balance and ends up on his back and i think because of both legs on the same side he can't or has trouble turning right way up.

I'm changing the water every night and putting in alittle stress coat. Hope this ok?

His right back leg is pretty much being dragged the right front leg seems to be moving more & he's using it
I checked the vet list you suggested and there's not one thats close. i'm in Mackay qld i not sure if their is a vet here but i'll ring my local vet that i take my other animals to tomorrow
Thank you for the info site i've looked at it several times since sunday

I'll try the prawn & blood worm tonight. And i check the other pet stores for the live black worms i have bought it before but i know they were having trouble and thats why they stopped selling it

What's your opinion on chillers? i've had a look resently and their seems to be some smaller ones for smaller tanks

Thanks again

greentea

Reaction score
chillers are fantastic! i bought a second hand one for $300 (half price) off ebay. it was a huge cost for me but well worth it. i never have to worry about the temperature being too high ever
mel

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hi Greentea
Thanks for letting me know bout your chiller
I'm thinking i'll save up for one
Thanks

flan123

Reaction score
Hi!

My two cents, if I may.

Firstly, the 'gulping' of air. Axolotls can do this frequently as they take in more oxygen. My suspicion is that if there is gill trauma they may not be able to take in as much oxygen as usual through the gills.

Secondly, please please make sure you use dechlorinated water when carrying out the water changes in the fridge, and keep bottles of freshly prepared de-chlorinated water in the fridge to use, to maintain a constant temperature.

Thirdly, just use enough to cover the Axie's back, and firmly wrap a tea towel around the container so that the opening and closing of the fridge (the light) doesn't disturb him.

:happy:

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your info
it's greatly appreciated :happy:
So much to still learn and understand
I'm still a beginner with these beautiful animals (or are they fish) :D
I'm starting to think that i've been lucky with my axolotls having no trouble till now

Got my hands on some live blackworms today hopefully i can get him to start eating

Thanks

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hi,

I keep trying the live blackworms but haven't had any success with my golden guy eating yet

How long can axolotls go without eating?
It's nearly 7 weeks now

i'm getting very stressed worrying about him :eek:
I'll try some cooked fish tomorrow i have some fresh spanish mackrel

Thanks

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hi

Just wanted to update my golden guy
He is still not eating
I think he may have fungus on his front right leg,(i'm worried about his hand/foot its has no colour now and is very limp from the wrist, he using this leg but not the foot)
and his back right leg on middle toe and on bone that is protruding from leg abit of fluff) he is using this leg alot more now
He is also upright all the time now and moving around alot better

Please let me know what you think?

Thanks
Gilertjelly

Attachments

• PA030029.JPG
    PA030029.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,671
  • PA020004.JPG
    PA020004.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 530
  • PA020021.JPG
    PA020021.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 563

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sadly, the front foot is already 'dead' and its best to have it amputated by a vet. The recovery will be better with the injured limb amputated.

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hey

I was thinking that may have to happen i did talk to my local vet he has seen a couple of axolotls
but not many. I'll call him tomorrow and see when i can take him in.
Do you think the whole leg or just the foot for amputated?

Is the fluffy stuff on back foot fungus?

Thanks for your help
Gilbertjelly

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, there is some fungus on the hind limb. However, do not give a salt bath yet. As the wounds are 'open', the salt baths will be a real torture.

The site to amputate from is best decided by your vet. If the upper arm area is still alright, the amputation can be from the elbow down. Nontheless, amputated limbs will regrow back albeit very slowly in adult axies.

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks you so much for your help
Is there anything else i should mention to the vet when i get to see him
I know he hasn't treated many axolotls before

Should i not be too worried about him eating?
I keep trying but its still a no go

Thanks again
Gilbertjelly

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't help you with the vet thing, but I just wanted to say I wouldn't worry about him not eating. Axolotls can go for quite a long time without food, especially when fridged as thei metabolism slows down. Keep trying though and good luck with the vet, I've been follwing this thread closely.

gilbertjelly

Reaction score
Hi
I just wanted to update whats happening with my axolotl
He still not eating am trying everyday
He is going to have his leg amputated soon
i'm abit worried that because he's not eating that he may not survive the surgery
He is still moving around and in the fridge i think this he kept him alive so far
The vet wants me to warm him up over the next couple of days (i'm abit worried about doing this)
It's so stressful very night trying to get him to eat
Thank you to everyone for their help

Thanks
Gilertjelly

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1