Lumps

Rosie2407

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Hello,

my newest axolotl seems to be developing lots of little lumps all over his body - they look like little warts. Is this most likely to be fungus - should I fridge him?

What would be wrong with my water quality/setup that would be causing this??
Worried! Only had this one a month!!

x

Is there any possible way for you to post a picture of it?

What are your water parameters?

Have tried getting photos, can't get them to turn out well enough.
What do you need to know about the water?

This is the best I can get!! Can you make out the bumps along his jawline and eye? These are all over his body - a lot of them on his tail

Attachments

• 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 335
I would definitely take him to an exotic vet if you do not want to risk losing him. You never know just what strange illness it may have.

my nearest vet is 60 miles away so would appreciate some advice and maybe try a few things first before I attempt to trail him so far. Anyone else got any ideas? The lumps are not white, they are same as his skin. They have appeared gradually over the last week, getting a little more every day.​

Any thoughts?? Just waiting for results of water tests. He is very young and extremely active, he swims around a lot compared to my other older axi. But I had previously put this down to youthful exuberance but do you think maybe he is stressed then??​

If there are white bumps all over the body, it could be a reaction to a toxic compound in the water or could be a bacterial infection. Either way, its best to fridge the axie, and give it a course of antibiotics. Do you use any sprays around the tank?

What are the filamentous growths near the jawline? are they superimposed from the background or an actual 'growth' on the axie? If so, it may be anchorworms.

that's just his toes in the background lol!!!
I'll stick him in the fridge then. Fingers crossed. Thanks again! x

And this just in

Just had water parameters checked:
Nitrates: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
pH- 6.5

the temp is 19 degrees.

I am thinking about moving him to another room with a bigger tank that has better filter etc.......

Thanks

Hi. Did you check the water yourself? Did you cycle the tank before the axolotl went in? Those figures dont look like the tank has cycled. Or even has anything in the water lol. Mel

Eek, I thought those figures were ok???? Oh no!!

Yeah, I checked them myself with a kit and the axolotl was not in it but I had only just (about 30 mins) taken him out to put him in the fridge.
Help? I'm a bit lost now!

I've decided to set him up a new tank while he is in the fridge. It will be in a larger tank in a cooler room. Can you help me with some tips to get the tank just right before I put him in?

They are good parameters.

I cycled my tank with fish and bacteria from another tank for 3 months before changing to axxies and my parameters are the same. I think it shows that you do water changes etc properly and I imagine you have a larger tank. I have been told by several sources that that is why my tank param's are so good.

So I say good work!

Don't know about the bumps tho' sorry.

The lumps look similar to these ones on this thread....

http://www.caudata.org/forum/beginn...-mexicanum/sick-axolotl/63082-lumpy-toes.html

Darkmaverick suggested vet treatment in this thread. I know you said you are far from a vet, but reading through Darkmaverick's response I don't think the bumps are likely to disappear on their own, if in fact they are the same type.

As far as water parameters, to me it also looks as if your tank has not cycled. I'm not sure what the correct Ph is, I believe it's between 6.5 and 8, so yes 7 would be ideal, but axolotls can tolerate a range of Ph.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Looks like I have some more work to do. His little lumps do not look exactly like the ones in the other post but they are similar, it's hard to tell....
He has been in the fridge for about 24 hours now and today has no new lumps and the ones he does have seem slightly reduced. Lets just hope they are not recurring.
Will take your advice and cycle my tank properly now before I put him back in. The temp seems better now that I have moved rooms, it's sitting at 17 now.

Thanks again for all your help! You guys are all so knowledgeable!!!
Fingers crossed!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that's Louis' lumps seems to have recovered after his spell in the fridge
I have set him up a new tank and am letting it cycle before he goes back in. I'm hoping this will sove the problem for the future as the tank is bigger and cooler too

Thanks again

x

Glad to hear everything is going well! :D mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back