Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Andersoni

dodgy

Reaction score
I have a pair of andersoni coming on Friday (hopefully), very expensive & very hard to come by. I would have thought more people who are into axies would have them in the UK, but I cant find any.
From what I can find out, keeping, feeding & breeding these is the same as axolotl., I have read that they are referred to as "posh axolotl's" by some (me included).
Has anyone got any tips or clue's that will help me make sure they are andersoni & not a wild type axie with less blotches than normal, I hate getting ripped off.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe one of the main morphological differences is the toes. A. mexicanum have pointy toes and A. andersoni have rounded toes.

dodgy

Reaction score
thanks for that info,
is that it??? im spending 20X the money of an axolotl with rounded toes & spots.
what is it about these that make them so expensive? is it just that they are so rare?

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Surely before you decided to buy them you should have researched the differences?

dodgy

Reaction score
of course i did, they look slightly different, nicely spotted, have shorter gill's .
but then again you can get different shades of wild type and some have shorter gills than others, i have 2 wild types n they look different from each other. paterns vary as well.
im not an expert, far from it, but im not an idiot either.
im trying to collect a pair from each colour morph i can find, i just wondered why the andersoni were so expensive. what makes them so special?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They still command a high price because they're uncommon in the pet trade. That will probably change as groups of the recent export start to propagate around the world. By all accounts they're no more difficult to breed than A. mexicanum, although they have a tendency to morph if kept in poor conditions which will probably put people off.

There have been quite a few discussions on this forum so use the search facility to learn more. I hope your "posh axolots" do not disappoint.

dodgy

Reaction score
yeah course i will, cant wait tbh, i really hope they're worth it, nearly £200 missus is goin bonkers, she wanted some more huggs(boots)(no chance:rolleyes:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1