Good Plants for newts vivariums(many pics)

End

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Display Name
luca
After using fake plants for a short time I decided to try with the live ones , they are beautiful to see , growning really well , and most important my newts seems to love them.
The species that i have are:
Anubias Barteri nana
Cryptocoryne Parva and C. Wendtii
Hygrophila Polysperma and H.Corymbosa siamensis
Lilaeopsis Braziliensis
Java moss attached to the wood.
Obviously i do not use fertilizers or special lights, just natural sun light.

if you have positive experiences with other plants please tell me the name of the species or post some pics here.
i took some pictures
my Cynops vivarium
end-albums-newts-ect-picture7278-cynops-tank.jpg

Pleurodeles vivarium
end-albums-newts-ect-picture7280-pleurodeles-tank.jpg

Mesotriton alpestris apuanus vivarium (finally they are acquatic)
end-albums-newts-ect-picture7279-juvies-apuanus-tank.jpg

and now the plants
Anubias barteri var.nana
end-albums-newts-ect-picture7271-anubias-barteri-var-nana.jpg

end-albums-newts-ect-picture7270-anubias-barteri-nana.jpg

end-albums-newts-ect-picture7269-anubias-b-j-moss-wood.jpg

Cryptocoryne Wendtii
end-albums-newts-ect-picture7273-cryptocoryne-wndtii.jpg

Cryptocoryne Parva

end-albums-newts-ect-picture7272-cryptocoryne-parva.jpg

Lilaeopsis
end-albums-newts-ect-picture7274-lilaeopsis.jpg

Hygrophila Polysperma
end-albums-newts-ect-picture7276-hygrophila-polysperma.jpg

Hygrophila Corymbosa siamensis

end-albums-newts-ect-picture7275-hygrophila-corymbosa-siamensis.jpg

Java Moss

end-albums-newts-ect-picture7277-java-moss-wood.jpg

Your plant look nice. Be careful however because sunlight can quickly heat up an enclosure, even when the room itself seems to be at a comfortable temperature.
Chip

Thanks
The temperature rises a few degrees, for example in the morning usually the temperature in my vivariums is 16 celsius (60f) after a few hours of sunlight reaches 18/20 celsius(68f) maximum. I can do this because now is cold here , in summer this could be a problem

I agree, direct sun should always be avoided.

My personal favourites as far as plants go are Elodea, Microsorium and Java moss.

Bear in mind: the aroids you are showing are tropical plants, not temperate or sub-tropical like many newts. This means that, long term, these plants appreciate some heat: Water 73-84F That is not a misprint. Anubias (west Africa) and Cryptocorynes (S and SE Asia) like warm water.

If you have Cynops, I would suggest Java moss, Java fern and maybe Hygrophila or Rotala as better bets; If you have European Triturus, try Lysimachia; American Notophthalmus, try Bacopa, Ludwigia and dwarf Sagittaria. And Hornwort does seem to work with everything!

For Cryptocorynes, about the only newts I can see with them are:

Tylototriton verrucosus
Cynops ensicauda
Pachytriton breviceps (do tolerate some warmth)

don't forget the all around use for everything grows anywhere....pothos

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back