Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some Tank Ideas

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are some tank set-ups I came up with recently.

1 & 2. I've been keeping Marbled Newt morphs in here. They were dying off one by one in a soil set up, but this one is working and no one has died since I started with this one. They spend most of their time in the clay pot houses, but they can choose their moisture level.

3. I'm keeping my adult T. grans in here. It's supposed to be a terrestrial tank. There's a water bowl in the middle. Normally I keep them aquatic, but I was advised that keeping them terrestrial for a time might help they lay eggs. They've been in this set up for two months, and in another week, they'll go back to their aquatic set up (that whole tank will become aquatic again).

4. I have T. grans "babies" (2 1/2 years old) that I recently moved from their baby tank to their permanent adult home. I made this tank 50/50, and some are staying in the "swamp" side, and some in the aquatic side. It's easy for them to climb over.

5. This is my old Tylo Urodelarium, for Eddie and Elektra (my breeding pair), but the two sides are presently inaccessible to each other. The aquatic side has this year's crop of babies, and the terrestrial side has the yearlings. Once all the babies are gone, I'll make the two sides accessible to each other, and let the yearlings choose how to live. Eddie and Elektra are in a similar set up, and they can go from one side to the other.

6. I'm keeing 4 Dobros in here. They sometimes haul out to the island.

7. Here's where Eddie and Elektra are now. Pretty much the same setup as their old tank, just in a different tank.

Attachments

• MarbTank (1)sm.JPG
    MarbTank (1)sm.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 4,824
  • MarbTanksm.JPG
    MarbTanksm.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 757
  • TarichaTank (1)sm.JPG
    TarichaTank (1)sm.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 941
  • TarichaTanksm.JPG
    TarichaTanksm.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 666
  • TVerrBabiessm.JPG
    TVerrBabiessm.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 775
  • Dobrossm.JPG
    Dobrossm.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 854
  • E&Enowsm.JPG
    E&Enowsm.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,349

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In #6, is that strainer 100% stainless steel? I'm concerned that it might rust. Newts + rust = not a good idea.

Nice, thanks for sharing the pix Dawn!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been watching it for rust and it hasn't--I used the same one with a plant for a while and it never rusted.

AJ, I'll be honest. You lose interest in things too quickly for me to sell you any Tylos.

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Dawn, I dont think that was a very nice comment. You dont know me very well. Please dont judge me so quickly. I have had a huge interest in T. verr. since I saw them on this site when I joined. They are a species I will some how get(hopefully) and breed in the future. They are the main species I would like to work with some day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!