Axolotl face damage

jsinwunsch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Two days ago while doing a water change, I noticed that my gold albino (3") had an abrasion on the top of his head. Later the next morning he had blood coming out of his mouth and lacerations on his lips. Now it seems to be spreading across the left side of his face! I don't think it was caused initially from bullying by the other 3 axolotls because he is the biggest and most active of them all. The water has been nice and cold in the 55 gallon that they share, around 65 f.
Any suggestions would be appreciated! I'll post pics soon!:confused:

Could you post some photos? It could be an infectious condition. It is best to isolate this sick axie and fridge it.

Unfortunately he died the next day! :(
I tried giving him a salt bath before hand but it was already too late. Took him 2 whole days to go from totally healthy to dead. Well at least I have the other 3, and I just finished cleaning the tank out and doing some good water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back