Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I.D. please

Ben Krysa

Reaction score
ben-krysa-albums-p-hongkongensis-picture7734-warty.jpg

I recently had a discussion that left me doubting the I.D. of my Paramesotriton.
I was certain they were Hongkongensis, but I was told they are protected and it is unlikely any have been imported into Canada in the last ten years. This is the best pic i could get as of now, but I'll keep trying. Possibly Chinensis? but the skin seems too smooth compared to other Chinensis I've seen. Help please.:confused:

KennyDB

Reaction score
I would say its honkongensis because chinensis has not that prominent dorsolateral ridge.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like P. hongkongensis to me; the skin is relatively smooth for Paramesotriton, the red line at the bottom of the tail/cloaca looksmore like hongkongensis than chinensis, the cranial ridges are prominent and there are no yellow spots at the base of the limbs.
Do bear in mind that hongkongensis was only recently(ish) separated from chinensis (1962, i think), and is considered a subspecies, still, by some authorites. Not sure what the molecular evidence is on this - I have apaper, but need to get round to reading it.

Re the importation, these newts are widely exported despite protection inside their range (like a whole host of other Chinese amphibs, e.g. various Tylototriton). When it comes to the international trade in amphibians, local protection means very little, particularly from SE Asia, unfortunately.....
I think, also, that this species is protected on Hongkong itself, bu the populations on mainland China are not - I'm not sure about this, though, maybe someone with more specific knowledge could comment.
Chris

Yahilles

Reaction score
I think, also, that this species is protected on Hongkong itself, bu the populations on mainland China are not - I'm not sure about this, though, maybe someone with more specific knowledge could comment.
Chris
Uuhhh, do P. hongkongensis live in continental China? I thought that they live only in Hong Kong... In Wikia you can read that they are found also in "coastal regions of Guangdong province".

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, their range includes both Hong Kong and coastal China. I don't know what the legal status is in either location, but there have been zillions of them exported in the past 10 years.

Ben Krysa

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I was pretty sure they are hongkongs. But it's nice to have reassurance.

Cheers, Ben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1