DSCN0018.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 277
  • _SCN1849.jpg
    _SCN1849.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,133
  • DSCN2624.jpg
    DSCN2624.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 292
Your axolotl looks very bloated under the chin, is it possible he could have swallowed one of the coloured beads in your tank?

thanks for noticing, yeah I've asked about it before as I was concerned it was a tumor, there is nothing under his chin but he is chubby. People in forum determined it was because I often feed him scallops, shrimps, beef, raw fish and that he often plays with the aeriation.

Sadaharu as in the white dog in Gintama?!! That is the best name XD. He's cute by the way.

Hi,

did you bring him to a vet for a check-up? It could be a problem with the thyroid gland and he needs a medication.

Greetz, Tina

Callina, i know you meant well but that is misinformation. Nobody can ever diagnose a thyroid problem without doing a blood test. With mammals, yes, a goitre can suggest a thyroid problem but this is not common in amphibians.

With a puffy chin like that, there could be many different causes. I use the F.B.I system to rule out common causes. Foreign body impaction or reaction (such as a granuloma), bloat (which can be due to any metabolic disruption, kidney problem, heart or liver problem, toxins, starvation and yes very rarely endocrinological problem) or infectious stomatitis. You will need to do biochemistry on the blood samples to determine the cause.

More rarely, you get neoplasia or cancer. There is another benign cause. That is called obesity.

Nontheless, the bottom line is that if you want to pursue and investigate this further, a trip to the vet is necessary.

@Darkmaverick: That´s why I asked for a visit at a vet. It was only a hint for a treatable illness - no diagnosis.;)

-Tina-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back