Bugs?

capek36

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's all these little brown things floating around in my tank. I'm not sure if their bugs or just dirt, there too small to tell. Is there anything i can do to determine what they are and what should I do if they are bugs?

A photo would help.

Hi capek36,

There are a couple of articles on "tank invaders" at the Caudata culture site that may help you. There is one describing various invaders and what to do about them (click here) and one with some photos (click here).

Maybe those will help you to identify what is in your tank.

Good luck,

-Eva

Eva's articles should help you immensely. If you are still having problems good photos (by you or off of Google) of the bugs will help us identify them for you. Descriptions of their size (a few mm, cm or grain of rice sized, etc), movement and identifying features (legs, antennae, tentacles, etc) will help us identify your bug.

One of the important things to consider is most tank animals are completely harmless and actually indicate that your water quality is good. Often these little guys need excellent water parameters to flourish to visible levels. Usually these guys are in your tank but not in quantities where you can easily find them and levels of the critter will eventually adjust.

If you can't get a good picture, take a jar of the tank water to an aquarium and see what they say...I've always found aquarium staff really helpful when it comes to the water quality itself, even if they don't always know much about axies, and don't worry too much, I'm sure a lot of people on here have had little critters in their tanks, often a good clean out can sort them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back