Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: White Axolotl Showing Veins Despite Inactivity

RobertsKitty

Reaction score
My Leucisic mature Axolotl Shadoe got moved into a 20g Long (he was in a 20g tall) yesterday. During the transfer he was placed in a Tupperware for about 30 minutes. All the old tank components (including water, sand, ceramic pot, and plants) were transfered over to the new tank. I also added a slate tile from Lowes.
The day before the move I put a PVC pipe in old his tank for a new tunnel (he has long outgrown his pot) and I noticed about 30 minutes later he was veiny on his tail and his gills were red. I assumed he had been active and didn't pay it much notice.
Upon being moved I guided him in the new 20g long into his PVC tunnel wehre he remained overnight. This morning I coaxed him out and saw he was still very veiny. This afternoon I took out the PVC and this evening he was still pretty veiny (MAYBE a bit less so it was hard to say) so I pulled out the tile as well.
This afternoon I also noticed alot of yuck buildup so I vaccummed and did about a 60% water change which I will be doing anyway for the next 2 weeks as the tank cycles.
The water is the right temp and I shouldn't have too much buildup considering the large water changes after less than 24 hours. He ate this afternoon so hes not refusing food.
The only thing I can think of is in his old tank the sides, back, and top were blocked from outside activity and now the the whole tank is open which might be leading to some stress.
Is there anything else I should be doing? Does it sound like he is just a bit stressed? He has not been very active (but then again he never is. He is a very Zen Axie) I'd put him in the fridge but it is too cold and there is no adjustments to change the temp so I can't put him in there. I don't have anything to test the parameters atm. I am literally broke for the next two weeks so I won't be able to test it. Today his tail has been a TINY bit curled at the end at times but it could just be how hes shifted.
I guess its also important to note the temperature in the tank is perfect and the filter is not making any movement in the tank what so ever.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. I believe it is just stress related from the move and should go away within the next few days. My albino does this to me whenever I change her tank around and it usually takes her about 2 days to finally chill out.

RobertsKitty

Reaction score
That is SUCH a relief. Should I go ahead and put the removed pieces (PVC and Tile) back into the tank? I am worried the arrival of the PVC is what caused this in the first place.
Also the tile is SUPPOSED to be 100% Slate but is there any way I can be sure it is safe?
I am just a paranoid mommy!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
The new tank furnishings should be fine, I would put them back in, as long as they're absolutely clean. The more hides for your axie the better while he chills out.

You don't need to do such large water changes while your tank cycles, 20% will suffice. Less stressful for your little friend too.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Robertskitty,

I would leave the PVC pipe out of the tank for the time being, until you can rule it out as the possible cause of the trouble.

Where did the PVC pipe come from originally? That is, did you buy it new, or was it previously used in the house? And if this is the case, has it been exposed to any chemicals to your knowledge? If so, it's possible that these chemicals may leach into the water - I'm hoping someone with more knowledge on PVC may comment on this.

The PVC may be entirely innocent in this affair :happy: and this may be just a case of the axolotl getting used to a new environment. Better safe than sorry though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!