Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

P. Ruber

Sk3d

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just got myself a nice Pseudotriton Ruber and I figured I'd share the only pic I've been able to get of him so far. He's quite the shy one. Beautiful though.

IMG_1151.jpg

Sk3d

Reaction score
I am, unfortunately, not home and do not have any handy. However, it is a ten gallon aquarium with regular soil and a pebble filled pool. It has three peices or slate in it and oak leaf litter. In the pool there is a turtle filter that keeps the water flowing. I feed Petey small crickets, and have started an earthworm colony in it, hoping that they breed and will have a small supply of tiny earthworms that he? she? will be able to get at if it needs it. A few questions I have if anyone can answer them...

What are springtails? Are they a good source of nutrients for Petey?

What else can I give it to add a little variety to its diet?

Are they solitary, or can I keep a colony, or pair?

And last but not least, how do you sex these little buggers?

I have three Gekko vitatus (White lined geckos) and a leo. is sexing similar, or completely different? I did not want to stress the thing too much, so I have yet to even attempt to handle it.

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated, as I want to give him/her a great home!!

Nathan050793

Reaction score
What are springtails? Are they a good source of nutrients for Petey?
Springtails are small, hopping insects that make great food for small and young terrestrial newts and salamanders. They will probably be completely ignored by your large P.ruber.

What else can I give it to add a little variety to its diet?
Besides earthworms (which make a great staple diet), waxworms make for a great occasional treat.

Are they solitary, or can I keep a colony, or pair?
Caudates by nature are solitary, but multiple animals may be kept together, under the condition that a large enough tank is provided.

I hope that helps.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Wow I am still amazed with this animal:eek: Jesus its just beautiful... Sorry to say but i have use this photo as my iPod screensaver:D It´s just one of the most amazing creatures I´ve ever seen... Can you post some big load of pictures of him??:D
thanks

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
And last but not least, how do you sex these little buggers?

I have three Gekko vitatus (White lined geckos) and a leo. is sexing similar, or completely different? I did not want to stress the thing too much, so I have yet to even attempt to handle it.

I'm not sure there is a reliable method for sexing them. The only way I could sex mine was for the fact that I could see the eggs through the stomach of the females when they became gravid.

Sk3d

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice and kind words, as I appreciate both sincerely. As far as more pics of the little bugger, I will get to work on that poste haste, as well as a pic of the enclosure.

Thanks again,
Sked

Sk3d

Reaction score
Hey guys, just took these pics. I think I have an obese salamander... lol

He was hiding:
IMG_1162.jpg

Finally got him to pose...
IMG_1165.jpg

finger to show size...
IMG_1166.jpg

And lastly, the enclosure. Satying at about 57 F right now:
IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

Hope you enjoyed

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
It looks like you are doing quite well with your ruber. From the looks I'd guess that is a young female, as ours have always ended up looking like that even with extremely limited feeding due to the eggs inside. Males develop wider heads and usually maintain a much slimmer profile. We have been (very ;D) successfully maintaining an adult pair in an enclosure with roughly 2.5 times the floor space of your ten gallon tank. You can also feed your ruber maggots, isopods, bean beetles, and just about any insect small enough to fit in its mouth. They are voracious predators and will eat smaller salamanders and earthworms nearly as long as themselves.

How are you maintaining such cool temperatures? (which is great). At 57F you'll only need to feed it 2-3x/month, and probably less often if you want to slim it down some.

Good luck!
Tim

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
I find the animal Pretty amazing I wish I could have one of those.. They must be so cool looking besides what they look between a computer :D
One day I shall get some of those and off-course breed them! (hopefully :rolleyes:)

chip.

Jorgo

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love your setup design, except for the soil. It looks like potting soil - I see the little bits of perlite or styrofoam. There are several possible problems with potting soil, discussed here. You might want to consider using pre-soaked/rinsed coconut fiber or cypress bark instead.

Thanks for the photos of the animal and setup, really nice!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Nice looking set-up! I have not been able to observe this species for many years, but used to find them fairly often as a kid.

I agree wholeheartedly with Jen on the soil choice. Given their voracious nature, the risk of gastrointestinal impaction is very high with potting soil containing pearlite and or foam drainage beads.

The other issue I worry about with potting soil is the pH. It is often made with composted sphagnum moss in the mix (peat). Low substrate pH has been linked to fatal health issues in terrestrial caudates.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1