How to know if Ommatotriton ready for water?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a group of CB 2007 O. ophryticus. At least one male appears to be developing a hint of a crest. They are not full adult size, though. I would say they are the same size as adult L. helveticus.

I am very afraid of putting them into a semiaquatic setup too early in their life (or at the wrong time of the season). I have heard too many sad stories of this species dieing when aquatic or too wet.

Are there any experienced Ommatotriton keepers who could venture a guess? Should these guys be given water this year, or is it better (safer) to wait another year?

Attachments

• Oo1.1009.jpg
    Oo1.1009.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Oo2.1009.jpg
    Oo2.1009.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 514
My god Jen... I am in absolute envy, and by the way- those Ommato's look fabulous! Congrats on the success you have had so far! I believe that this species needs a diversity within it's captive habitat. What I would suggest is to set up a tank using plexi dividers and have it like 20% water, and the rest land. Here is where it gets tricky. The land section should have all gradients from wet to dry. They will find a comfortable medium where they belong...Use leaf litter to create both dark retreats, and to have dry even in the wettest part. I would also suggest that the water depth start around 2". From there gradually increase as they venture in. I hope I could be of service!

-jbherpin-

Last edited:
Hi JB, thanks for your input. Do you have experience with Ommatotriton? From what I've read, it almost seems that Ommatotriton have "suicidal tendencies" when it comes to water. If water or damp substrate is available, they seek it out. But as a result, they die. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what I've read, but this has been my interpretation, and it scares the heck out of me! Your advice seems very reasonable for most newts - it would be perfect for Triturus - but I'm concerned whether it would be safe for this species, especially if they are too young to breed this year.

Congrats on bringing them up to sub-adulthood!!!!
I remember one of mine was just about in the same stage as yours now..:(
I have no experience to share Jen, because as you know i failed misserably, but i just wanted to wish you the best of lucks!!!!!

Gunter, suggests that once they're a year old and reached 5-6 cm in length they're robust and resilient enough to be treated as adults.

This care sheet is pretty detailed, giving good information on terrarium design and how to get the males and females into condition, bringing them together and avoiding territorial fights.

Salamanderland

It's in German but Google will do a half decent translation. Failing that you could always drop Gunter a line.

Hi Jen, did you ever make a decision on putting these guys in the water? I'm in exactly the same situation with a group of the same age and size (6 - 8cm). I know quite a few people that've been keeping this species for 20+ years and from what they tell me the real danger is moving them back to a terrestrial set-up following the aquatic phase. It seems their skin takes much longer to make the change to the less permeable terrestrial type, making them vulnerable to disease. Of course, this doesn't mean your concerns aren't justified!!

I'm extremely tentative about letting mine go aquatic and was wondering whether you'd made any progress with yours?

Thanks for the info, gp. I put the two largest ones (both male) in a semi-aquatic setup, where they can choose between a soil-substrate land area and a good-sized aquatic area. One of them has stayed entirely on the soil side; the other ventures around on the rocks in the aquatic side but I haven't actually seen him in the water yet.

I was thinking of trying the same, although I'm pretty sure they wont like the water temperatures in the newt room at the moment! I may have to wait until this cold snap dissipates a little and temperatures go up. Having said that, everything else seems to be perfectly happy.

Keep us informed of how they get on and I'll do the same.

I think the animals are a bit too small yet, but you can try anyway. I would start breeding if they are about 10 cm total length. SVL in wild populations of Ommatotriton ophryticus are 5-6 cm. Minimum age in the field was recorded 2 years for lowland populations up to 4 years in highland populations.

I just put them in an aquarium with one large flooting piece of cork bark. If they do not enter the water in a few days, return them to their original homes and try again a few weeks later. In males the crest is mostly already develloping on land when they are ready to mate; like in crested newt species.

Sad follow-up

The two males were doing fine in the semi-aquatic setup for two months. They were hand-feeding and looked great. With the hand-feeding, they had grown to about 8-10 cm. They never became aquatic, but I would always see them either on the land area or sitting in the shallow water area.

This weekend I found one of them dead in the water. And suddenly the other one looked terrible. Over the next 2 days, his skin "melted away" and he died too. I have terrible photos if anyone wants to see.:(

Nothing had changed significantly, so I don't know where things went wrong.

Re: Sad follow-up

Sorry to hear, Jen... That really is a shame. How is the rest of the group?

JBear

Re: Sad follow-up

I have 3 left that look great, but I think they may all be female. I can't tell the sex of the smallest one.

Sounds exactly like what happened to mine....their skin just melted away...
I´m very sorry Jen, it´s so frustrating....Best of lucks with the rest of them, though, i really hope you succeed.

sorry to have read this, jennewt. I was looking forward to buying some from you in the future. my marms you sold me are doing great. need to post pictures. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back