Triturus Dobrogicus Pics

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AJ
Here are some Triturus Dobrogicus pics. My male is cresting up and I plan to update this thread as his crests grows, eggs are laid, etc.

Two close ups of the adult male:

caudatadude28-albums-triturus-dobrogicus-new-improved-picture8119-adult-male-close-up.jpg

caudatadude28-albums-triturus-dobrogicus-new-improved-picture8118-adult-male-close-up.jpg

Father sitting on son:
caudatadude28-albums-triturus-dobrogicus-new-improved-picture8117-dad-sitting-son.jpg

Son courting mom, that sounds very awkward:
caudatadude28-albums-triturus-dobrogicus-new-improved-picture8115-young-male-courting-female.jpg

caudatadude28-albums-triturus-dobrogicus-new-improved-picture8114-young-male-courting-female.jpg

Size reference to how huge this female is. The male is 5.5-6 inches. She is at least 8 inches!
caudatadude28-albums-triturus-dobrogicus-new-improved-picture8116-size-reference-adult-female-11-12-month-old-male.jpg

Good gravy! She looks like a spotted sausage.:D

What temperature are you keeping them at currently?

Looking good! That female is a big girl! Great to see the the beautiful crest up, I wish you the best. Keep us posted (cant wait to see eggs!)

Mitch

That female is impressive! Very beautiful animals and I'd love to have eggs or larvae from their spawn.

Nice Dobrogicus , i just realize that 8 inch are more than 20cm wow, from what i've read, the medium lenght in dobros females is 16-17cm 6.5 inch more or less.

Yes is quite impressive. I would say that the blue line apear in very old females like that one. Smaller individuals dont have that line being restrict only to males.
I have a pair of these with 2 years old and they are wonderfull they are around 10-13cm both and the male is very beautifull. I will be posting some pics soon.

My animals have just matured (they are about 1-1,5 years old) and the females do have a sheen in their tail also

Attachments

• IMGP2584.JPG
    IMGP2584.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 1,275
  • IMGP2585.JPG
    IMGP2585.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 1,592
waw Joost:eek:!!
I am very preatty sure that your animals and mine are from the same breeder and they look a lot different! My female look just the same but without line. Your male haves a more strange crest and also more dark one mine is more regular and more brown but the colours on the torso and flanks are the very closely related.

Nice ones as well:D
Chip.

My adults are about 2 years old right now. The females got their purplish bluish hue on thier tails when they completely matured at 1-1.5 years old. I have bred them last year and a short breeding this year that resulted in 6 larvae, a pre-breeding or something. Thanks for all the feedback people! It seems that the male's crests are growing larger every day. I have more pics of my dobros and my notos in my albums on my profile if you want to see more.

Joost, are they T.d.dobrogicus or T.d.macrosomus??
And yours, caudatadude?
I´m asking because while the males look virtually the same as mine, the females are definitely different.

Mine are Triturus d. dobrogicus. T. d. macrosomus are often quite smaller than T. d. dobrogicus as well as a different coloration, I think. I know some people that have macs, and theirs look much different than mine. There is some variation in dobros though.

T. d. macrosomus are often quite smaller than T. d. dobrogicus as well as a different coloration, I think. I know some people that have macs, and theirs look much different than mine.

My T. d. macrosomus are about half the size of the nominate form.

Joost, are they T.d.dobrogicus or T.d.macrosomus??
And yours, caudatadude?
I´m asking because while the males look virtually the same as mine, the females are definitely different.

for all I know, it's the nominate form. The macrosomus is very rare here in the Netherlands

I suspect yours and mine are related then joost, since i got mine from your country.
It´s true that macrosomus is supossed to be slightly bigger, given that they have that extra vertebra, but the differences in appearance can be very dilute indeed.
Anyway thanx for answering, i was just curious.

Well, i don´t own any macrosoma to compare, but i´ve always heard and read that they are larger, which makes sense considering the extra vertebra thing...
Hopefully someone will clear this once and for all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back