Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls legality issues

lexmiller

Reaction score
How are Axololts on the protected list and yet a bunch of people have them? I really want one, but I think they are illegal in California...can anyone clarify this for me, because I am confused as heck!

(Note from John: Use the search facility - this has been discussed extensively for many years)

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
The fact that Axolotls can be crossed with other Tiger Salamanders is why there is no exception in CA or NJ law. CA has enough problems with other imported barred tigers crossing with its native california tigers. They don't need more. NJ only has about a dozen breeding ponds left all in 2 southern counties and some of those still on private lands. So they are soon to bulldozed into houses or strip malls. So they don't need any hybrids running around either.

lexmiller

Reaction score
I bought an Axolotl about 7 years ago in California...and I also bought one in Nevada. Hmmmm....thinking about moving just so I can own one again. hahaha...j/k. Or am I?

Thank you for your patience. I know I ask a lot of questions but that have already been answered.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought an Axolotl about 7 years ago in California
And if the California authorities ask us for your details, we will provide them, as per the Terms of Service you agreed to when you registered.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I bought an Axolotl about 7 years ago in California...and I also bought one in Nevada. Hmmmm....thinking about moving just so I can own one again. hahaha...j/k. Or am I?

Thank you for your patience. I know I ask a lot of questions but that have already been answered.

Axolotls were outlawed in 2007 along with he ownership of all Ambystomids in California.
If you spend some time with the forums search function, you will find a long, repetitive thread on this topic that even includes a link to the actual law on a republic of California official site. You will also find many, many threads nearly identical to this one on the topic.

Just because it was legal once by no means indicates it is now.

lexmiller

Reaction score
Wow...am I being attacked? I did not say I owned them any longer.

When I moved from Reno to Las Vegas I gave them to my room mate who thought they were awesome conversation pieces in the UNR dorms. And they were...girls find those creepy little guys cute. I thought the move would be too stressful.

Geez...you can give the authorities my name, but they will be more upset that I don't have anything illegal.

I'm hurt. I didn't think that I had posted anything previously that hinted that I was a criminal. I work for the local probation office for crying out loud.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
It was actually a reminder of our Terms of Service to which you agreed when you signed up - we cooperate with the authorities if they request any information on criminal activity by a member of the forum. You potentially just admitted such activity. Sorry if I cared enough to remind you - I should have just let you hang yourself.

lexmiller

Reaction score
Jon,

I agree that you do care or you wouldn't post. Thank you.

But I have done nothing wrong. That was seven years ago and I lived in Nevada. Is that against the law too? I am not sure. I believe the law came into affect AFTER 2002. And since said Axololt is not in my possesion and has not been for 6 or seven years I do not see what crime you think I have commited. Anyways I glad that you do work with authorities...I do remember reading that in the Terms. I can not "hang myself". I own one P. chinesis. I was actually stating that I liked the axololt I USED TO HAVE so much that I might move to a place where it is legal to buy such creatures. I was making a joke. I was sure that you had a sense of humor.

I think this got blown out of proportion. I am fairly sure that the DFG or anybody else is not interested in my ONE newt.

Well. If that;s not clear I don't know what is. I didn't want an argument about these creatures. I asked a question and it was answered, and as the founder I understand you are trying to protect this wonderful resource. I am not an issue or a threat. Wow...I feel like ...something.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for my bluntness. I probably could have phrased it slightly less matter of fact. We can't be seen to condone any illegal activity.

lexmiller

Reaction score
Understood...neither can I. I apologize as well for jumping to conclusions.

pete

Reaction score
How are Axololts on the protected list and yet a bunch of people have them? I really want one, but I think they are illegal in California...can anyone clarify this for me, because I am confused as heck!

(Note from John: Use the search facility - this has been discussed extensively for many years)

As to your original question about how people can have a protected species like an axolotl. Check out this thread.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...9977-my-pet-shop-says-axolotl-illegal-us.html
I think it points out why axolotls are typically an exception to the rules. There are many other threads like it.

spiro666

Reaction score
HAHA I am glad that owning axolotls in CA just got compared to stealing, doing drugs and driving drunk. Lets through Rape and Genocide in there to complete the circle. The laws are the laws and John's job is to oblige any official interest into illegal activity so if you are doing something, save John (and yourself) the trouble and don't talk about it on this site. The same way you wouldn't do drugs in public, advertise you're driving drunk, or tell everyone the genocide you just did. I am not attacking anyone particular but its just logical to not give officials any reason to have an interest in you, even if your innocent. NWA said it best :cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1