Orion showing off his/her belt!

Sapien

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sapien
This is my new and first axie! I've named it Orion.
Speaking of it I think its a girl but im not entirely sure. And any guess's on age?

sapien-albums-orion-picture8264-s8000017-10-12-2009.jpg

sapien-albums-orion-picture8263-s8009997-10-12-2009.jpg

sapien-albums-orion-picture8265-s8000006-10-12-2009.jpg

First off, how long is it? This will give us a better idea if it is near adult size or not. As it stands I would say it is a female as well.

There is no definitive way to say for sure how old it is. There are so many factors that determine an axolotls growth rate that you just can pinpoint it to an exact number.

It's about 16 cms.
it does have a VERY small lump near its rear-end, but i dont know if its male because i dont know if he's mature or not...or just a female being weird :D

I think Orion is a little too young to reliably sex at that size. Feed well with earthworms and Orion will grow fast.

unfortunately where i live there is no place in which to get earth worms apart from the EXPENSIVE pet store. but i have pellets, bloodworm and feeder fish. i also just got a new axxie today, name is Zuma, and its definately female, she's a little bigger, pics will be posted soon :)

Re: Orion showing off his/her belt! (pics of Zuma added)

This is Zuma, my first white axxie.
sapien-albums-zuma-picture8277-s8000022-11-12-2009.jpg

sapien-albums-zuma-picture8278-s8000026-11-12-2009.jpg

sapien-albums-zuma-picture8279-s8000032-11-12-2009.jpg

with 16 cm of length is it possible to make sure of it's sex. The pic is a little bit blurry, but I would say a female as well

I would say 16 cms is too young to sex. My leucistic was 19-20cms before he looked male. Mel

Re: Orion showing off his/her belt!(newpicsup)

Here are the new pics, got my camera to work properly :)

sapien-albums-zuma-picture8287-zuma10.jpg

sapien-albums-zuma-picture8286-zuma9.jpg

sapien-albums-zuma-picture8285-zuma8.jpg

sapien-albums-zuma-picture8284-zuma5.jpg

sapien-albums-orion-picture8290-orion2.jpg

sapien-albums-zuma-picture8283-zuma4.jpg

sapien-albums-orion-picture8288-orion1.jpg

sapien-albums-orion-picture8289-orion4.jpg

Hi. @joost thats great you were able to tell from 16cms. I wish mine were all easy to sex . Finley definatly showed no signs of bein make at all til 19-20cms. I even took photos of him a week or two before with no bulge whatsoever then all of a sudden the bulge appeared. I was quite suprised actually. He is also only 9 months old so maybe it also depends on age too. But i would say that you cant tell an axie is definately female until after 20cms or so. I still have two possible females at 21cm and i'm still not 100%. Mel ' .

It's about 16 cms.
it does have a VERY small lump near its rear-end, but i dont know if its male because i dont know if he's mature or not...or just a female being weird :D

My first axolotl was about 16-18cm when it became rather obvious he was a boy.

I have a melanoid that we were certain was female until he reached nearly 22 cm. Even at this point, he seem relatively androgynous, compare to the other two.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back