The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 13th December 2009   #1
BananaCupcake

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: BananaCupcake is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation New to this and... HELP!

Hey everyone, i'm new here and i only own one newt. But i hope to one day breed some. The newt i have is a T. Shanjing (or emperor newt). I have a big problem though... But first i will tell you the whole story.

So i went to a reptile expo to get a tiger salamander. I saw one and went to get the supplies for it. When i had come back, it was gone. But there was an emperor newt in the same tank. I asked the owner if the it had the same care as the pet i was looking for, They said "yes". The problem with my newt is that I assume it is an export from china, but they didn't tell me that. So but anyways the big problem is that i can't get it to eat and it has been 2 months. So please help. Oh, and my newt's name is cinnamon and is a girl.

BananaCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009   #2
JM29

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and information
Default Re: New to this and... HELP!

Hello, BananaCupcake,

and Welcome.

I wont be able to help you much, since I haven't had this species, but some of my friends have, with some success.
But, for people more aware of this species, when you say : "I can't get it to eat", what does it mean ?
- what food do you propose ?
- are you sure it has been eating nothing at all since you got it ?
- or doesn't it want to eat in your presence ?
Depending on your setup, non eaten live food could stay available in the setup until it finds it.

Friendly,
JM

JM29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009   #3
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Welcome to the forum!
Sadly, WC specimens of this species usually adapt very badly. Having been housed with a tiger salamander canīt possibly help.
They require different housing conditions, i donīt know who you bought it from but he was lying.
Take a look at this caresheet, iīm sure itīll help:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tylototriton shanjing

As for eating, earthworms are perfect and usually get a good feeding response. Waxworms are brilliant for picky eaters, but you canīt abuse them.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Is your tank moist enough for it? Maybe you can show us a pic of your tank.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009   #5
BananaCupcake

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: BananaCupcake is an unknown quantity at this point

When I say "I can't get it to eat", i mean it just won't eat.
I have tried to feed it, Earthworms, Small Crickets, Large Crickets, Big and Small Mealworms
I don't know if it has eaten befor I got it

BananaCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009   #6
Tyler
(petlover516)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: petlover516 has shown reliable knowledgepetlover516 has shown reliable knowledge

Welcome! From what I know, I believe Emperor newts need totally different if not the complete opposite care requirements of tiger salamanders. It definetely won't survive in a tiger salamander set-up.

petlover516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009   #7
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover516 View Post
Welcome! From what I know, I believe Emperor newts need totally different if not the complete opposite care requirements of tiger salamanders. It definetely won't survive in a tiger salamander set-up.
I'm not sure what you mean by opposite care requirements. Most of the basics are the same between tiger sals and T. shanjing. They both need a terrestrial setup, which could be very similar for both species.

I would suggest trying live waxworms. Leave some in the tank during the night.

Old 16th December 2009   #8
joost
(Joost)
Asian Newt Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 1
Rep: Joost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterwoman View Post
Is your tank moist enough for it?
How do you keep your Tylo's Otterwoman? Shanjing shouldn't kept moist, in this time of year

Joost is offline   Reply With Quote