New to this and... HELP!

BananaCupcake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, i'm new here and i only own one newt. But i hope to one day breed some. The newt i have is a T. Shanjing (or emperor newt). I have a big problem though... But first i will tell you the whole story.;)

So i went to a reptile expo to get a tiger salamander. I saw one and went to get the supplies for it. When i had come back, it was gone. But there was an emperor newt in the same tank. I asked the owner if the it had the same care as the pet i was looking for, They said "yes". The problem with my newt is that I assume it is an export from china, but they didn't tell me that. So but anyways the big problem is that i can't get it to eat and it has been 2 months. So please help. Oh, and my newt's name is cinnamon and is a girl. :D

Hello, BananaCupcake,

and Welcome.

I wont be able to help you much, since I haven't had this species, but some of my friends have, with some success.
But, for people more aware of this species, when you say : "I can't get it to eat", what does it mean ?
- what food do you propose ?
- are you sure it has been eating nothing at all since you got it ?
- or doesn't it want to eat in your presence ?
Depending on your setup, non eaten live food could stay available in the setup until it finds it.

Friendly,
JM

Welcome to the forum!
Sadly, WC specimens of this species usually adapt very badly. Having been housed with a tiger salamander can´t possibly help.
They require different housing conditions, i don´t know who you bought it from but he was lying.
Take a look at this caresheet, i´m sure it´ll help:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tylototriton shanjing

As for eating, earthworms are perfect and usually get a good feeding response. Waxworms are brilliant for picky eaters, but you can´t abuse them.

Is your tank moist enough for it? Maybe you can show us a pic of your tank.

When I say "I can't get it to eat", i mean it just won't eat.
I have tried to feed it, Earthworms, Small Crickets, Large Crickets, Big and Small Mealworms
I don't know if it has eaten befor I got it

Welcome! From what I know, I believe Emperor newts need totally different if not the complete opposite care requirements of tiger salamanders. It definetely won't survive in a tiger salamander set-up.

Welcome! From what I know, I believe Emperor newts need totally different if not the complete opposite care requirements of tiger salamanders. It definetely won't survive in a tiger salamander set-up.

I'm not sure what you mean by opposite care requirements. Most of the basics are the same between tiger sals and T. shanjing. They both need a terrestrial setup, which could be very similar for both species.

I would suggest trying live waxworms. Leave some in the tank during the night.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back