Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ax's tank help PLEASE

eereptiles

Reaction score
Ok, so I have had 2 axo's for OVER 6 months, and just today both of them decided to try and eat the rocks on the bottom..... both had to be removed with tweezers by my husband cause i was freaking out!!!! Why now are they going after the rocks and what is honestly the best thing for them in the bottom????????? :confused:

Lyndsay

Joost

Reaction score
you can use sand, gravel (which is smaller than 2 mm) or nothing! I use caviar gravel for my Axolotls. This is very small, and it's round

Attachments

• IMGP2676.JPG
    IMGP2676.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 363

Samyueruchan

Reaction score
Hello eereptiles,

From what I've read it seems that if an axolotl is kept on gravel small enough to fit into his/her mouth it is pretty inevitable that it will happen. This can lead to impaction, of course, so should be avoided at all costs.

There are quite a few options though:

Many people keep the bottom of their tanks completely bare. This makes clean-up very easy but some claim that axolotls can get stressed by slipping on the smooth glass. Many of the wise ones on this website do employ this method though.

Another option is to use sand, though you have to make sure that the layer is less than an inch thick or gas bubbles that mess with your water chemistry can form.

A final option is to use large pebbles and rocks such as large river rocks that are much too large to fit into the axolotl's mouth. Try to make sure that there isn't a single rock smaller than the axolotl's head. This can be a bit difficult during cleaning, however, as uneaten food and detritus tend to slip between the gaps in the rocks. With diligence, large rocks can be a very effective and attractive substrate.

As long as the substrate is either too large to fit in your axolotls' mouths or so small (1mm or so) that it will pass straight through your axolotls' systems without a problem anything is fine, and all of the options have advantages and disadvantages. Feel free to make it look as aesthetically pleasing as you'd like, as long as it is safe and you keep it clean!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Generally rocks/ stones etc are not recommended as ingestion could cause a blockage, that is why stones and gravel are not advised. Out of interest what have you been feeding them. Live food sometimes escapes, and the axolotl will go on the prowl to find it, maybe that is why they seem to have suddenly decided to eat the rocks. Would you be able to tell us what size these rocks are, or post a picture ? we would thn be able to advise what further action may be required.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I had 2 pieces of tile cut to fit into the bottom of my tank. It fits perfectly, so there is no worry of waste or food falling into cracks, it look natural because I chose a dark brown tile that resembles mud, and it allows my axolotls to move around well because of its texture.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1