Question: Axies in the Fridge

Wayno

Reaction score
Country
Australia
HI all

As its the holiday season I am going to be away from my 2 Axies for a week.

My plan is to put them in the a spare fridge we have, this way if its hot while I am away they will still be ok.

I Understand that they are less active when in cold water what size container should I be using? I brought two 18 litre tubs last week and set them up last night. Complete with filters and sand in each of them. My only real concern is that the container that will be on the top shelf will be too heavy for the actual shelf.

So I have three questions.....
1. Would the Axies be ok sharing the 1 tank for a week?
2. If I put the lid on one tank, can i place the other tank straight on top? I am guessing I would have to put the air hose on the filter for the bottom tank?

hi
I have a question for you are the two axies about the same size? are they agrssive(or is even one agresive)? the reason i ask is because if one is signifigantly smaller than the other the smaller one may be bullied and you could come home to a axie with a missing leg or worse. If one is agrssive the same problem may occur fighting wise.

brad

They are both as aggressive as each other, but I wouldn't even say they are aggressive.

As for their length, about 20 cm long....

ok if they are both about the sme size and are non aggresive that should be fine.
im not sure about the fridge though i know you can do it for ilnesses but to keep them in there for a week im not sure someone else may have to answer that for you.

hope i helped

brad

If an axolotl is in the fridge, it will be in a small container of water which is also uncycled. The water needs to be changed daily or the axolotl will be sitting in its own waste for the duration. If the tank they are in now is cycled, it would be better to leave them there for a week. Is there somebody who could check in on them occasionally?

-Eva

My main concern is that there will be no one here to keep control the temp of the tank, least in the fridge I know it will be controlled.

The tank in the fridge would be filtered....

If you can set it up to where the tank is running in the fridge with a filter then by all means go for it. The plus side of this is that you can turn down the temperature on the fridge to slow down the axolotls metabolism therefore decreasing the need for it to expend energy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back