Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl miracle

jarrennylund

Reaction score
I just arrived home from Xmas holidays to discover my fish tank had broken and my poor little axolotl was left in only about 1cm of water that was barely over his legs (he was only about half immersed in water). I just assumed he was dead, but I then noticed he was still moving his gills every now and then, so I quickly filled up a fish bowl with water and picked him up and put him in there. He seems to be okay so far, fingers crossed...does anyone have any advice? I think it goes without saying I'll be buying a new fish tank a.s.a.p.

SUZY

Reaction score
I would want to know if he is eating. For the most part if he is eating, it would probably be safe to say that he'll be ok.
Keep your fingers crossed. I hope that all goes well !

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there,

You poor thing (both of you!), what a horrible thing to come home to. Thank goodness you found him, and I hope he pulls through for you.

To aid in the axolotl's recovery the water needs to be kept cool and clean.

The cooler you can keep the water; the better the recovery rate will be. If you are unable to keep the axolotl's temporary home at the optimum temp range 16-18C (Australian Summers can make this quite a trial), I would strongly recommend fridging your axolotl. Temperatures above 22C can be very dangerous to an axolotl's health; particuarly if he (or she) is already stressed.

The axolotl will need his water changed daily with fresh dechlorinated water. If fridging, please ensure you use fridged dechlorinated water for the water changes so the temperature is kept consistent.

I share Suzy's concern. Is the axolotl eating? If he is eating, this is a good sign.

And, are you able to post a photo of the axolotl?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1