Illness/Sickness: Wounded Arms

A

achiinto

I have been away from 2.5 weeks and have to leave my axolotls and newts for a relative. I have suggested her to reduce the feeding, since she will not visit as frequently as I would like to.

It turned out the hunger drove them biting each other. Of 2 of my three juvenile axolotls, their arms are severely wounded. One of the limbs has it hand bitten off and lose. I know that it will regenerate, however, it seems to be swelling a bit. Of the other three limbs (1 limb (the other arm of the one that lost its hand), and 2 limbs of and other axolotl) , they are mostly scratch and skin wound. It does not seems to have done damage to the skeleton.

What I worry about is infection or complication. What is the best way to treat it? Should I pull their arms off completely instead so they can regenerate properly? :( Currently, the axolotls are still feeding and eating well.

Currently, I am trying to lower the temperature and I am planning to change water frequently to ensure good water quality. I have added some salts to the water and removed the aggressive axolotl to a smaller container.

I have experience with juvenile firebelly newts regenerating and in fact, all three axolotls I have now were purchased with limb lost to start off with as well. However, in all previous experience, the limbs were bitten off entirely. However, this times seems to be a lot of small wound instead. I dont know if this will be more prompt to infection. I have previously a large axolotl died from such a wound before. However, that was an old axolotl and didn't make it.

I would say your doin everything correctly. Keeping the water clean and cool and just keeping an eye on them. If you see fungus forming start salt baths. I'm sure all will be fine. Good luck Mel

Thanks Mel. I have attached two images of the two axolotls. how does it looks? Is it bad?

Attachments

• PC304341b.jpg
    PC304341b.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 324
  • PC304342b.jpg
    PC304342b.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 270
They look very sore. As Mel said, just keep the water as cool and clean as possible. Hopefully they will heal with no problems.

Great job so far. Fridging and regular water changes alone are the best medicine for this. I don't recommend you give salt baths unless there are visible signs of fungus. WIth wounds like that, salt baths will sting quite badly and also interfere with the wound closure and healing process.

Isolation and close monitoring is good as well. Continue to offer nutritious food types to promote healting.

I don't recommend you remove the affected limb. Leave it as it is. If you are very concerned and prefer the axie to have a clean surgical incision to regenerate from, you would have to bring it to a vet. Surgery is not a DIY procedure and can cause more harm than good if not properly done.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back