Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cooling for those hot summer days?

NewtZoo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I live in Phoenix and noticed things got a little hot last summer in my newt and frog room. I didnt want to A.C. the whole house so I was thinking of trying some thing new. Has anyone ever made a cooling system from a mini-fridge? I am open to other ideas aswell. Maybe something cheap that would cool the whole room. I tried fans but running 5 didnt do anything.
I was thinking of running PVC pipe from the fridge to the tanks and using a small fan in the fridge to blow cold air. Then using a thermostat to regulate the temp.
Summer is coming quick so Ill take any advice I can get.
Thanks!
Tyler

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Does the room have a window in it? If it does you can just put a small window AC unit in it, that would cool down just the room and not the whole house.

axie girl

Reaction score
I freeze bottles of water and put them in the water for my axie and it keeps his temp down ehen its hot:D

NewtZoo

Reaction score
The small window AC is a good idea although in 115 degree, three month stretches, I wonder if having the window open at all would be worse. And I cant use fans over the tanks because they dry out the air to quickly. Hopefully I can move away to grad school before things get to hot.

NewtZoo

Reaction score
Think I found what I need. I found an evaporative cooler for 25$ on craigslist. This should cool and humidify at the same time. I had never heard of one until today. Neat!!

T

t0astiez

quick related question:

i use the frozen water bottles in my tank (brings the water temp from about 80 F to 70 F :D). i have a spot in the tank where i can prop the bottle up against a piece of driftwood and one of the glass walls so that the top/cap never get submerged, greatly reducing any risk of mixing the water inside the bottle with the tank water. nonetheless, as advised, i use dechlorinated water in the frozen bottles just in case, however i've noticed that there usually ends up being some white'ish residue in the bottom of the water bottle. is this what happens when water conditioner gets frozen? like i said the two waters do not come in contact but i'm paranoid haha. anyone know what this is or had a similar experience?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1