My first video

Gorgeous axies no doubt, but you need some hides in your tank. Axolotls need an area that they can feel safe in, and it seems your aquarium may be lacking. A quick fix that would make your little guys much much happier.

The hides arn't to feel "safe" in as such, but to hide from the light as they have no eye lids. Sunny doesn't have any hides because hes in darkness 24/7 and when a light is turned on, he is covered up.

Blaze and Shizeric are both correct and have valid points.

A shady hideout is indeed one of the major reasons why axie tanks should include hidng spots. However hiding spots also serve other purposes other than shade. They are a form of environmental enrichment to make axies feel more comfortable in their environment. This can help reduce tank aggression as axies can then have a quiet place to retreat into away from other axies. It can also serve as a covert ambush point for an unsuspecting feeder fish or shrimp!

To humans, well placed hiding spots form part of the interior decor and can be most pleasing to the eye.

thanks for the advise and I already set some hiding places for them. I will move them to a larger tank ,36 inches long so they will have a better living place.

Attachments

• DSCF6423.jpg
    DSCF6423.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 176
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back